PDA

View Full Version : Micro Bubbles...

WarDaddy
07/24/2005, 10:04 PM
Ok my pump is sending a lot of micro bubbles out. I thinkt the problem is that the line from the overflow to the Sump is pulling a lot of air down with the water.

The air bubbles are NUMEROUS when entering the sump.

How do you reduce the mumber of bubbles at the entry point?

Should the inlet pipe/tube be under the water line of the sump, deep under the water line (My situation) or abover near the waterline.

I ma thinking that the bubbles are entering the sump so deep that they are getting pulles into the bubble trap right away. The volue of bubbles is so high that ehough are getting through the trap (1.5 " wide (between each baffel) by 6 3/4 long bubble trap)

the number of bubbles right now in the tank is a definate bummer.

Should I cut that inlet tube to just above the surface? I am thinking just above the surface with a 90 elbow at the end so the water is let out along the surface and not pushed deep. (my design takes the water down under a baffel, into the main sump area (heaters, sponge filter for isolation tank, skimmer) and then to the bubble trap, under over under design.

Does that all make sense?

Thanks

WarDaddy
07/24/2005, 10:21 PM
Could locline parts be part of the problem?

I am wondering is air is being drawn in at some point after the pump.

There just seems to be to many bubbles for the pump to be sucking them all through the bubble trap.

tekknoschtev
07/24/2005, 11:17 PM
My first question is what pump are you using for a return? We had a Mag24 originally, and we decided that we didnt need to go to Niagra falls this summer.... we had it in our sump. Downgraded to a 9.5, and NO bubbles what so ever (we even removed one of the bubble traps of the 3 we had.

http://workshopwebs.com/pictures/fish/150/05July/071705/overflowinfuge.JPG
There is a picture of what we did to help bubbles. The overflow tube goes to about 2-2.5" from the bottom of the 4" pipe which has a cap on the bottom. The holes help reduce the flow rate. The bubbles rise up and out.

That coupled with the reduced flow have all but eliminated microbubbles (we literally turned our 150 into a giant skimmer8, and the skimmer crap was collecting everywhere.

http://workshopwebs.com/pictures/fish/150/05July/071805/sump.JPG
Thats a pic of the sump, to give you an idea of what's goign on. The overflow leads to the fuge on the left. Water falls over the 16" high wall into the skimmer compartment. The first baffle is 13" high, and 1.5" away from the second which has a 2" gap on the bottom.

Works like a charm.

WarDaddy
07/24/2005, 11:45 PM
I am running this pump:
PanWorld 100PX-X Magnetic Water Pump
I am pumping up 4 feet, with a T and a 90 elbow at each out flow (2)

I am afraid that I have too much pump... Wonder if Marine Depot will credit me and allow a swap... Oh interesting thought I have a quiet on3 3000, much less pump, could try that ans see how she does.

Thanks!!!

tekknoschtev
07/25/2005, 12:00 AM
I searched for it, and is it only 1270gph? If so, that might not be the problem. How is your sump setup?

If your plumbing would allow it, give the QuietOne3000 a try and see if it helps. I learned - the hard way - that a return pump isnt the place for flow, but then again 1200gph (max flow, not including head pressure) might not be the cause of excessive bubbles.

Melev just made a post about micro bubbles and reducing them, but I cant seem to find it to save my life.