PDA

View Full Version : Firefish immunity???

LTJGAlex
07/22/2005, 07:55 AM
Hey all...

My 5g nano's fish population was decimated by ick. I had a Percula, 2 chromis and a firefish...

But the firefish survived and is doing as well as ever. No erratic swimming, no lessions. Does anyone know if firefish or gobies in general are particularly resistant to ick?

If so maybe I'll get a watchman or something.

Secondly, are there any other ick-resistant fish that might be good for my setup, or any fish that eat the stuff?

Thanks,
Alex

CitCat21
07/22/2005, 09:14 AM
Firefish for some reson seem to be more resistent to ich however other gobies for instance my redheaded mexican goby is not.

If yo ucan take the goby and any other fish out of your display tank and QT for 6 weeks so that the ICH will die and you will have an ich free system again.

boxfishpooalot
07/22/2005, 09:18 AM
Listen to my story. I had a 30g tank before. I had 13 fish in it. I made some cement rocks, and assuming they were cured I put a small rock in the tank. Well the next mornign almost all the fish were dead, except one. The mandarin goby.

The reason for this is gobys generally have a very thick slime coating on them. This sloughs of parasites and disease, before it gets a chance to enter its body. Their thick slime protects them from disease very well, and also gives off a poisen.Wich makes them distastfull.

I think that mandarins are immune to ich parasites, but as far as fire gobys go im not sure,possibly alot stronger than most fish. One caution on fire gobys is get a lid because they will jump out of the tank(providing you dont have a canopy) This happened to mine:mad:

Steven Pro
07/22/2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by LTJGAlex
My 5g nano's fish population was decimated by ick. I had a Percula, 2 chromis and a firefish... It sounds like you had about three too many fish in there.

Fish can develop immunity to Cryptocaryon, but is has less to do with the species than it does the number of non-lethal exposures a fish is subjected to.