PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Ballasts

markr
02/11/2002, 09:35 PM
At present I have been succesfully keeping a marine fish only tank but, as most people, I would like to start a reef tank. I understand light amongst other things is a key element.

I do not want to spend more than necessary but don't want to be to cheap either. Ballasts at my LFS range from $50 to $250. I can go to Home Depot and get a ballast for $20. Why the big difference? Can I put a VHO fluorescent bulb at 110watt in the same ballast as a 40watt fluorescent bulb. Do the ballast and the bulb wattage have to match?

Are the any other key elements to consider before making my choice?

Thanks for all the help.

150reef
02/11/2002, 11:01 PM
I would spend the money and at least get the VHO setup...
I don't believe you can put a VHO bulb in a regular florescent fixture with the regular ballast. You won't get the same output
that you would from VHO bulbs and an ICE CAP ballast.....
I just sold a VHO hood with bulbs all wired for 50bucks without the ballast, I think the ICECAP 660 you can get for about 180 bucks....I changed over to halides/VHO's already. So you might want to check around and try to get a used setup no one wants any more...Lots of them in the want ad around this area....
Hope this helps..
Anthony

Nagel
02/11/2002, 11:03 PM
First...
[welcome]

Next, You are correct, the bulb and ballast must match. A 110w VHO will not run on a 40w NO ballast, and a 40w NO bulb would burn out on most 110w VHO ballasts.

Take a look online at the mail order places, most are MUCH cheaper then your LFS. I would suggest an IceCap VHO ballast like a 440 or 660 depending on the size tank and inhabitants, as the icecap seems to be versatile enough to go frfom application to application.

what size tank and inhabitants would you like to keep, and we can make more targetted suggeestions.

griss
02/12/2002, 10:25 AM
Mark,

You can also buy magnetic VHO ballasts from an electrical supplier. The good part is they are cheaper then electronic...lower start up cost. The bad part is they burn the bulbs up in 6 months or less.....VERY high ongoing cost.

The bottom line in this hobby is you really should do it right the first time.

Also, check out the used equipment forum on this board....you might be able to find a good deal on used lighting.

Griss