PDA

View Full Version : need protein skimmer any suggestions

joshsamsj
07/14/2005, 09:22 PM
i am lookingto buy a skimmer for my two hundred reef. i want to spend no more than three hundred and it must do atleast up to a 3-400g tank any suggestions on some good skimmers

imsqueak
07/14/2005, 10:19 PM
Several of us have MR2s which are $299my reef creations (http://www.myreefcreations.com/psstandard.htm) Mine handles my 300 + 70 sump ok but it does seem inconsistant. Sometimes it skims 1/2g per day and sometimes 1/2g every 3-4 days (at the same setting). I suspect its just a matter of what's in the water to skim that makes me think its inconsistant. For the price and quality I think it's worth it. HTH

cee
07/15/2005, 05:33 AM
Here are your choices for a tank that size:
Needle wheel skimmers:
- Bubble King (expensive)
- Deltec (high end german brand, outsanding performance)
- H&S (high end german brand, outstanding performance)
- Euro-reef (mid to high end american brand, performance ranges from mediocre to really good, depending on model)
- ASM (mid end american brand, performance ranges from mediocre to really good, depending on model)
- Coralife (low end brand, performance is mediocre to good)

Beckett skimmers:
- Barr Aquatics
- My Reef Creations
- Reef Mania
- Presicision Marine
- Marine Technical Concepts
The performance comments are not mine, but a combination of others'. Remember, this is one of the most important pieces of equipment you'll buy for you tank, so don't skimp here. If you do, you'll probably end up upgrading later. Also, you can build your own, buy you'll need some experience with working with acrylic, etc. HTH.

Dave

joshsamsj
07/15/2005, 08:55 AM
whatabout the nautius ex ventori skimmer

joshsamsj
07/15/2005, 09:15 AM
what size pump do you use on the mr2 i have a iwaki md70rlt 1530gs at 3 feet

joshsamsj
07/15/2005, 10:35 AM
just picked up a ex24 for100 bucks going to try it out fora while