PDA

View Full Version : Sand Depth

cbnsoul
07/14/2005, 06:53 AM
Is there an "ideal" sand depth to have? I have a 29 gallon with about 50 lbs or so of live rock. The sand has been in a larger tank for about 1 year. I curently have the depth at about 1 1/2 - 3" (depending on location in the tank).

Thanks.

kau_cinta_ku
07/14/2005, 06:56 AM
from what i have read most ppl go for the 4" sandbed. along with me

Danger731
07/14/2005, 07:10 AM
due to my inhabitants mine goes from 0 to 3.5 inches, I'de be concerend with "dead spots" in my sand with too much

EdKruzel
07/14/2005, 07:45 AM
Check Dr Ron's area for sand bed information; with a DSB (4''s +) you'll have many benefits and a working NNR, however will be limited as to what creatures and fish you can keep.

Many prefer less than 2''s as it is easier to maintain although they need to find other methods to reduce Nitrate.

Your call,
Ed

romunov
07/14/2005, 08:26 AM
I see no reason why you would want to go more than an inch or so. I suggest you avoid a DSB.

That being said, you can here see a list of DSB articles (http://gutfeeling.mine.nu/my/dsb.html).

I wouldn't bother with a 29g tank, though.

Conceyted
07/14/2005, 08:58 AM
My tank has not been put together yet, but I plan on putting about 40lbs of sand into my 20 long. I plan on having about a 1-3 inch sand bed once it is all done. That is what most people seem to do

greenbean36191
07/14/2005, 09:07 AM
In anything less than about a 65 gallon there isn't much sense in adding any more sand than is aesthetically pleasing unless you plan to keep fish that like to burrow. Anything else is just wasted space. DSBs only work if they have a large enough surface area, and in anything less than a 65 or so you can't really get that critical area. A lot of people don't understand the principles behind the DSB and think 4 inches of sand in any tank will turn nitrates into N gas. It doesn't work like that. See Dr. Ron's thread in the list Roman linked to.

DitchPlains2
07/14/2005, 10:08 AM
I have a 4+ DSB in my 55g but I have a 35+ fuge but my rock work is aquscaped such that the majority of the footprint of my tank is open sand........I see numerous Ngas bubbles escaping the sand itself and releasing into my water collumn. I'd say as long as atleast 1/2 or more of your tank is exposed sand it should have a beneficary effect, what that really translates to in terms of nitrate reduction maybe minimal in a small 29g tank. I would think a good 25-50% water change would do wonders more, but thats just simple thinking on my part. I haven't read the Shimmek article, but I remember Calfo speaking about how important a good dsb can be. Either way I think the difference obtained by a good water change can't be compared no matter what filtration your using.

:rolleyes:

druce
07/14/2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by greenbean36191
In anything less than about a 65 gallon there isn't much sense in adding any more sand than is aesthetically pleasing unless you plan to keep fish that like to burrow. Anything else is just wasted space. DSBs only work if they have a large enough surface area, and in anything less than a 65 or so you can't really get that critical area. A lot of people don't understand the principles behind the DSB and think 4 inches of sand in any tank will turn nitrates into N gas. It doesn't work like that. See Dr. Ron's thread in the list Roman linked to.

Greenbean, I think you answered every question I had about DSB's in a 55gal. Thanks - everything seems to make more sense now.