PDA

View Full Version : tangs with ich, but still active???

cpandrewschmidt
07/12/2005, 09:23 PM
Hi all, I have two small tangs in my 75, a kole and powder brown. Had the kole for about 2 months and the powder about 4 weeks. Recently they both "seem" to have ich. There are white dots and they brush against rocks. I don't want to quartine them because I feel that might make more stress, plus they are still eating and swimming around like they are in perfect shape. How would you all proceed? They get along fine and never fight. I only have one cleaner shrimp who doesnt ever give them the time of day. Possibly add some more??? I am sure some will say 2 is too much for the 75, but I am happy with them and they get along. Thanks for any help. :D :D

Andrew

sharkboy
07/12/2005, 09:31 PM
well tangs are hard fish to acclimate to a tank, there's a 50/50 chance they'll eat, or not. It seems like your powder brown was stressed when you put it in your tank, and it got ich, which spread to your other tang. At your LFS, i'm sure that they have medicine,(a powder), that you mix-in you'r tank, it cure's ich. I have it, and it works every time. None of my fish have died from ich. Good luck.

cpandrewschmidt
07/12/2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks, the only thing I ever hear to cure is Copper and I know that isn't reef safe. Is the powder reef safe? What is it called? I don't want to jump the gun on them since they've been in there for a while and both eat and swim healthy, but I don't want it to progress if it is ich. I look into that powder though if it won't harm anything.

Andrew

Ti
07/12/2005, 10:13 PM
try garlic

jdmhonda954
07/12/2005, 10:29 PM
garlic and use a product called "its clear" with 50 micron filtration and you should be fine. if you want more info on the stuff just pm me.

JENnKerry
07/13/2005, 01:25 PM
I've had my powder blue tang for almost three months (got him online). Every so often he gets a few ick spots here and there, and then he has lots of days where he doesn't have any. Not once has any other of my fish (including my yellow tang) come down with ick. He's as happy as can be, eats like a pig and is very active.

The only way to cure the ick is by QTing them with either copper meds or hyposalinity. Thats it. Nothing else will do it. Garlic will help, but will not cure it.