PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

phljess
07/11/2005, 11:57 PM
Will this small auto-top-off system work to help me automate rotifer feedings to my clownfish larvae?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/65474jsw_fish_tank_011.jpg

I have two, 2 liter bottles one drips in SW at 1.012 SG to lower my grow out tank to 1.018 over the next couple days. The other bottle contains GW+rotifers which also syphons into the larvae tank. I am dripping the water at a rate of about 1 drop per second. I am also using a airline tube to drain the tank of about 20% of its water each day.

rsman
07/12/2005, 02:48 AM
sounds good to me

Armando
07/12/2005, 07:58 AM
You shouldn't drop the GW + rotifers culture directly into your lavae tank. The water in rotifer culture is pretty nasty.

phljess
07/12/2005, 09:41 AM
I only add about 10% rotifers to the GW I am dripping, therefore giving them time to multiply before going into the larvae tank and not destroying water parameters in the larvae tank.

rsman
07/12/2005, 10:52 AM
You shouldn't drop the GW + rotifers culture directly into your lavae tank. The water in rotifer culture is pretty nasty.
this shouldnt be culture water you should have screened out the rotifers then added them to gw then be using that

I only add about 10% rotifers to the GW I am dripping, therefore giving them time to multiply before going into the larvae tank and not destroying water parameters in the larvae tank. this should be for feeding not growing, and unless you use a pump itll go too fast for you to grow anything....

phljess
07/12/2005, 11:55 AM
Rotifers split 8 times per hour I believe if fed correctly, It takes this bottle 3 hours to pour into the larvae tank thus equaling rotifers being introduced for a longer duration in the grow out tank, instead of being saturated all at once. THis drip also introduces GW to the grow out tank to feed rotifers that are already there so they do not become empty calories for larvae.

rsman
07/13/2005, 11:19 AM
sorry forgot about this thread ....

Rotifers split 8 times per hour I believe if fed correctly, and here is the first problem, its not that fast, its 1 set every 3~5 hours in close to optimum conditions, and because of the semi-short lifespan some are dieying also....

It takes this bottle 3 hours to pour into the larvae tank thus equaling rotifers being introduced for a longer duration in the grow out tank, instead of being saturated all at once. correct and a good idea

THis drip also introduces GW to the grow out tank to feed rotifers that are already there so they do not become empty calories for larvae. correct again and another good thing.