PDA

View Full Version : Algae Magnet Gone to a Commercial Level: Would you buy?

DeathWish302
02/08/2002, 01:15 AM
Reefers,

If i were to start producing algae magnets at very competitive rates, they were quality pieces, with quality components, and available in ANY size, would you buy one? I'm pondering giving the commercial manufacturers' a run for their money.

I'll post some pics shortly for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks,
DW302

cal3v
02/08/2002, 01:25 AM
No because you live far away and I wouldn't pay for shipping. If you lived close, I would. They would have to be the floating kind though.

DeathWish302
02/08/2002, 01:38 AM
If your willing to invest $15-30 into shipping livestock, then $4 or so doesn't seem like alot for a magnet? Not like i'm going to make my money off s/h, if i make anything at all. I'm in it more for possibly progressing the hobby, as myreef, geo, coralhound..... They're certainly not thinking they can make millions, just wanting to help those out w/ good products at reasonable prices.
Guess that's what i'm trying for.

DW302

smokinreefer
02/08/2002, 01:46 AM
if you could make one that can scrape coralline, and be affordable, i would buy one, and i'm sure i could get the local hobbyists to support your efforts as well:)

Reef Maniac
02/08/2002, 02:03 AM
cal3v. They would not have to float if they were very strong like my magnavore4, It has never fallen off the glass. And it never would. It is very powerful! (but very pricey...) :(

Twist N Go
02/08/2002, 02:07 AM
Dude if you can make a powerful magnet that floats count me in.

mrbast74
02/08/2002, 02:23 AM
lets see those pics. If it was cheap and powerful, he11 ya.

Little Reefer Boy
02/08/2002, 02:25 AM
For those of you with very powerful, non-floating magnets, how do you turn corners? Do you just kind of pull away a little? I am wondering because it seems like the magnet could really scrape into the silicone bead. I always worry, even with my mag-float, that I will accidentally scrape up some of the bead. Since mine floats I pull away and let the mag float so the other glass before I stick it back. Sorry, if this sounds confusing....late :)

DeathWish302
02/08/2002, 11:55 AM
smokinreefer wrote:
if you could make one that can scrape coralline, and be affordable, i would buy one, and i'm sure i could get the local hobbyists to support your efforts as well.

I believe i have a method for glass that's a bit more effective than just the Velcro loop pad, but need to contact some manufacturers' about the possibility of a medical grade version. I'm afraid it will only be available for glass, as acrylic can only use the acrylic-safe pad. I've tried on my acrylic frag pond, and everything has left scratches (minor and deep) so the acrylic-safe pad is the only way on acrylic tanks.

Reef Maniac wrote:
cal3v. They would not have to float if they were very strong like my magnavore4, It has never fallen off the glass. And it never would. It is very powerful! (but very pricey...)

Correct!!! It should NOT fall off so why have one that floats? (Reef Maniac: Beautiful stand and sump! I absolutely love your setup. Nice craftsmenship.)

I can make a floating variety, but they will be larger in depth. I was shooting for slimline versions, but it's impossible w/ buoyancy. I made a slimline about 2 months ago that is only 3/8" thick. I tested it on a piece of 1.5" glass and it had NO lag. This magnet would not need a float. If you would like a float version, i could rig up a "retrieval buoy." It would be similar to MightyMagnets, but not cork.

Twist N Go wrote:
Dude if you can make a powerful magnet that floats count me in.

Would a retrieval buoy be suitable for this, or would you want it to have an internal float? If you want power for heavy coralline scraping, the inner magnet housing would have to be quite large to compensate the weight. The retrieval buoy could be very small and still allow freedom of movement.

mrbast74 wrote:
lets see those pics. If it was cheap and powerful, he11 ya.

I'm working on the pics, as my G-friend has my digital in Louisiana right now. (G-d only knows what she's doing w/ her friends on B-street w/ that camera. I might see it again!)

I'm planning on the magnet being very affordable, but not "cheap" in any manner. It will be high-quality, w/ the best materials, and the best deal. They will have a "limited lifetime warranty", along w/ a 30-day money back gurantee.

Little Reefer Boy wrote:
For those of you with very powerful, non-floating magnets, how do you turn corners? Do you just kind of pull away a little? I am wondering because it seems like the magnet could really scrape into the silicone bead. I always worry, even with my mag-float, that I will accidentally scrape up some of the bead. Since mine floats I pull away and let the mag float so the other glass before I stick it back. Sorry, if this sounds confusing....late

I've never turned a corner in any of my tanks. The magnets are too powerful and end up falling. If you tell me of a powerful magnet that can take corners i would definitely like to purchase one for testing. As for Mag-Float magnets, mine will be far superior to their cleaning power and w/ a retrieval buoy as easy to retrieve.

I used to pull my magnet off and switch sides, but since i have been tinkering w/ magnets i have about 4 in my tank at all times. One on each side and 2 up front.

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions. Keep them coming!

DW302

gregt
02/08/2002, 12:06 PM
The magnavores mentioned earlier can take corners quite easily. The power of these magnets has to be seen to be believed. They are expensive for good reason, as they are not ordinary magnets. A friend of mine accidently got a mag8 stuck together with nothing between the magnets and it took a 5 lb sledge and a heck of a lot of work to seperate them.

I do like the buoy idea.

DgenR8
02/08/2002, 12:38 PM
BRO,
You let your G-F go to MartiGras without you?? :eek2: Trusting soul aren't 'cha? I wish I could be there to see what your digital camera is likely to see!! :D
Really, I hope she has a good time and gets home safely.

I would be very interested in a magnet that is powerfull enough not to drop off, even in a sharp curve ;)
Keep in mind that the felt on the outside mag should be "slippery" enough to reduce the drag I always seem to find in the cheap models on the market now.

SciGuy2
02/08/2002, 01:06 PM
DW,

You betcha I'd buy one provided you could get the price down and still make an effective product. The top end mag scrapers are way overpriced IMO.

-Sci

griss
02/08/2002, 01:47 PM
Count me in...especially since you said it works on 1.5" glass with no lag:eek2:

Griss

slojmn
02/08/2002, 01:58 PM
I would definately buy one from you. Mine is about ready to be replaced, so hurry:D

DeathWish302
02/08/2002, 05:44 PM
Let's hear some more opinions..........

DW302

David Grigor
02/08/2002, 06:02 PM
If yours would performs as well or better then Magnovore and Algaefree versions for cheaper, I would say your in business....

Lunchbucket
02/08/2002, 06:21 PM
dw302 count me in man ;) i would need a couple of different sizes. for tanks from 5.5, 10, and 55gal. give me the details when you find them out and get a pic.

if they are strong i am in. personally i leave the sides unscraped anyhow so i would only need it for the front :D

lets get em going
later
Lunchbucket

Lobster
02/08/2002, 06:21 PM
I would buy one if they are really cheap. If they are closer to the price of commercial magnets, I would buy one after hearing good testimony from reefcentral posters I trust.

I hate bulky floating magnets, because alot of my sps is large and likes to reach to the glass. Big magnets will not fit between the coral and glass, so I rather smaller magnets with a simple piece of string to retrieve it if it falls.

I have Tunze magnets now (think I paid $25 or so?), and they seldomly fall off. They need new pads though, so Ill be buying one later this year.

Oh yeah, my powder blue tang really loves to fight with my tunze magnets for some reason, so please make your magnet look like a very attractive female powder blue tang (long eyelashes, lipstick, etc) so he calms down. :D

npaden
02/08/2002, 06:35 PM
I think it would be hard to compete with the little $25 magnets like the mag floats or little Tunze magnets.

I am very happy my Algae Free Great White that I bought for $125 from North Coast Marines. The problem is that typcially people that really need these nice magnets (I'm using it on 3/4" glass) are willing to pay the $ to get a nice one and the key is that it is going to work over saving a couple $ in price. You would need to beat the competitors by $20+ to justify the risk of a newcomer to the market.

Some of the medium priced magnets might also be worth going after, but to go after the $25 magnets you would need to really get into mass production in my opinion.

FWIW, Nathan

Reef Maniac
02/08/2002, 07:19 PM
My magnavore takes corners with ease. I turn the corner everytime i use it. And I will say this again "It has never fallen off!"

Little Reefer Boy
02/08/2002, 07:50 PM
I didn't mean to ask if you guys COULD turn corners. I know you can without dropping the magnet. I am curious if dragging the magnet around the corner could ever pull away at a silicone bead.

mastaJ
02/08/2002, 08:07 PM
Count me in...
What I would like to see is: Magnets strong enough to scrape corraline in one pass. Also, strong enough that is never falls and if it never falls...no need for floating type.

As long as there is no need for the floatation "device" because it is strong, it better be thin...:D

- Pads that last...
- No lag because it is soo strong (it doesn't stick...then move)

A few ideas that I have, there ya go...:D

Clyde
02/08/2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by DeathWish302

I used to pull my magnet off and switch sides, but since i have been tinkering w/ magnets i have about 4 in my tank at all times. One on each side and 2 up front.

you're like me :)

but I have 3 in front heh, as lately I noticed its hard to clean my sides due to the powerheads mounted on the sides, kinda silly to clean that end now, so all three sit in front.
2 tunze, 1 magfloat ( I do not like the strength of the magfloat)

the tunze is nice, the 25 buck one, works as good but needs a bit moore oomph.

DeathWish302
02/08/2002, 09:17 PM
David Grigor wrote:
If yours would performs as well or better then Magnovore and Algaefree versions for cheaper, I would say your in business....

Better is not a problem since I am not trying for tremendous profits. I believe I can easily compete w/ the "big-boy" magnets at a fraction of the cost. Take for instance the MightyMagnet 8, or the Magnavore 8; these are easily beat in price, say by possibly half or a little less. As for Algae Free, they don't have a magnet in this class and I can't really compare their price if they did. I hope your right about this working, but as with any business you must plan before diving in (look at myreef, took him a year or so before he went "commercial.")

Lunchbucket:

Not a problem w/ those sizes, and yes I believe I can under bid any of the smaller commercial magnets.

Lobster wrote:
I would buy one if they are really cheap. If they are closer to the price of commercial magnets, I would buy one after hearing good testimony from reefcentral posters I trust.

I hate bulky floating magnets, because a lot of my sps is large and likes to reach to the glass. Big magnets will not fit between the coral and glass, so I rather smaller magnets with a simple piece of string to retrieve it if it falls.

I have Tunze magnets now (think I paid $25 or so?), and they seldom fall off. They need new pads though, so Ill be buying one later this year.

Oh yeah, my powder blue tang really loves to fight with my tunze magnets for some reason, so please make your magnet look like a very attractive female powder blue tang (long eyelashes, lipstick, etc) so he calms down.

What do you consider cheap? I think for $20-25 for a magnet like a Algae Free Piranha or a Magnavore 1, that has more grunt is worth every penny. I have no problem w/ skepticism, as if you would have said "blah-blah" skimmers are the best several years of go I would have said prove it. Understand your point completely, but that's why I'm researching before I throw myself into this.

I see you like a slimline design and a string. I'll chalk one up for those features.

Tunze I'm not particularly fond of, and haven't figured out why so many people like them besides the price. Everyone has different taste though, and that makes the world go 'round.

A powder blue tang internal magnet body may be difficult.... I'll see what I can do, LOL.

npaden wrote:

I am very happy my Algae Free Great White that I bought for $125 from North Coast Marines. The problem is that typically people that really need these nice magnets (I'm using it on 3/4" glass) are willing to pay the $ to get a nice one and the key is that it is going to work over saving a couple $ in price. You would need to beat the competitors by $20+ to justify the risk of a newcomer to the market.

Beating the competitor on big magnets isn't hard. I'm using the same magnet manufacturer as the competitors, same epoxy, same Velcro... I've had extensive talks w/ Mark over at Algae Free and know the facts on materials. I've been a faithful customer of his for some time, I'm even featured in his Testimonial page, due to being one his first customers. I bet he never thought it would come to competition, Sorry Mark. Basically npaden, I gave him a chance w/ no prior knowledge of his business, product, or quality. I think many will be even more willing w/ a price cut. Twenty bucks is easy for the larger magnets, $5-$10 for smaller magnets w/ greater power.

mastaj wrote:

What I would like to see is: Magnets strong enough to scrape corraline in one pass. Also, strong enough that is never falls and if it never falls...no need for floating type.

As long as there is no need for the floatation "device" because it is strong, it better be thin...
- Pads that last...
- No lag because it is soo strong (it doesn't stick...then move)

I'm working on a coralline pad, but as before it will only be for glass. Maybe a stronger magnet will pull more coralline off on acrylic? I'm w/ you on the never falling. NONE of my commercial or DIY magnets have ever fallen unless I hit a rock. Slimline magnets are what I'm aiming for, but I can't work miracles if your glass is 2" thick. Expect the magnets thickness to correlate to the glass thickness. Lag shouldn't be a problem, as I test the magnet in a "dry-run" before assembly.

Clyde:

Glad to know there are others like me. Maybe we should start Algae Magnets Anonymous?

DeathWish302
02/08/2002, 09:32 PM
Sorry, resubmitted previous.

johnydart
02/09/2002, 12:48 AM
I hate the cheap magnets available now. Back in the day I used to buy cheap, potent scrapers that destroyed coraline and turned corners (and if the magnet fell the unit could be picked back up with as much as four inches between the pair!). My current units are either too bulky (strong, but won't "snap" the corner) or too damn weak. Give me something that'll turn the corner, protect the silicon and replace the straight razor and I'll buy (up to $30 incl. shipping).

alphazone
02/09/2002, 01:09 AM
I would be interested in a new unique high quality algae magnet. To expand on what others have said you could use a magnetic material with a stronger field than ferrite based stuff. I work as a loudspeaker systems engineer and we've used neodimiun magnets for a number of years. The ratio in size of a neo magnet versus ferrite to create the same B-field is about 15:1, some of these suckers are so strong that if you were to stick a small piece on your fridge you can't get it off. From my experience this magnetic material costs about 40 times that of regular ferrite based mags, although you only need 7% as much material to create the same field strength so it comes out to about 2.5 times more than traditional magnets (still a lot). The advantage here is that you could possibly develop a nice alge cleaner because you wouldn't necessarily have to have a huge magnet block form the basis of the algae cleaner itself....

Lobster
02/09/2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by DeathWish302
David Grigor wrote:

something... something....

My Tunze magnets were cheap and they work as advertised on my 135G SPS reef. If you consider Tunze unimpressive, then you should have no problem making magnets that I would buy. I'm not saying I place Tunze above every other magnet, just that they are sufficient for my needs, and nothing more. I don't doubt that other magnets are better. :D

johnydart
02/09/2002, 01:42 AM
pardon my french, but my **** grows some serious endcrusting algae. I'd love a magnet that reduces/removes all that **** and saves me the struggle with the straight blade!

johnydart
02/09/2002, 01:44 AM
<font size="2" color="#0000FF">* Your post is in violation of the <a href="http://www.reefcentral.com/agreement.htm">terms
and conditions of use</a> of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges. *</font>

johnydart
02/09/2002, 01:45 AM
Good... asterix do the job.

DeathWish302
02/09/2002, 04:35 AM
What would you want the external housing to be? Wood, plastic? If you have a scrap of your hood material, and ship it to me i could build the exterior one from it.

Would you want black internal housings or colored? If i make them as mine, and not out of ABS blanks, i could probably have a variety of colors. The internal would be an acrylichousing if it were colored, would this be acceptable?

Also, if i get the deal w/ Velcro as i'm trying i may be able to undersell ALL vendors for replacement pads. I never understood the $7.95 for a 4"x3" pad.

All i can do is wait for replies fromm the suppliers, and for my digital camera. Hopefully by the end of next week my first magnet will have been produced and sold. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks all, and please do comment on design aspects, cost, or just improvements if you have any.

Thanks for your support,
DW302

Silicone
02/09/2002, 05:49 AM
DW302

I think the way to get established easily is making (custom) magnets to order, you mentioned in your previous post about matching the magnet to the tank hood if scrap material was available - thats a great idea.

Some people are always gonna want floating magnets, some are always gonna want slim line ones etc etc etc... if you make to order for a reasonable price then people will buy. Throw in a couple of easily made 'standard' magnets that people can order and get asap and everybodys happy (well maybe not:) but you see what I mean).

JMO

DeathWish302
02/09/2002, 11:28 PM
alphazone:

Already ahead of you, decided on Neodyium when i started making my personal selection. As before i made one from Neodyium awhile back and it held w/ no lag on 1.5" glass. Since it was only 3/8" thick, the epoxy wasn't thick so i would be unsure of long term 24-7 submersion. I have a supplier for them, but if you have any connections i would appreciate a #, www.address, or mailing address that i could reach them. I have a TID # for my body jewelry biz, so if they need one not a problem. Just wondering if you had a connection.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

I was wondering how thin you would want one to be? There is situations where size is unavoidable, as for 1"+ glass. What size surface area for the internal would you like? Would you want the internal and external housings to be the same size? Maybe these are specifics that need to be worked out w/ each customer.

No certainty yet, but i may include a HEFTY supply of cleaning pads to the first dozen or so for supporting my efforts. Still on the drawing board until i hear from Velcro.

Lunchbucket
02/09/2002, 11:58 PM
ok dw if you could give me a decent price i would get 2 from you asap, they are gonna be small...like 2"L x 1" for my 10 gal and 5.5 small so i can leave them on the front glass and not obstruct my view. they could be thin as heck if you want...whatever works for you. would need one in black outside and one in oak outside.

let me know, i will try out your biz.
later
Lunchbucket

Lobster
02/10/2002, 12:30 AM
Let us know of the pricing ASAP. Im really curious now so maybe I would be one of the guinea pigs to buy one of the early models as long as its in my price range. :D

Pomacanthus1
02/10/2002, 03:35 PM
Wow, sounds cool. As long as it removed coralline and other tough algea from the glass in 1-4 swipes (which my current magnet can't, even if you swiped it 30 times, lousy POS) and it cost around or under 50 bucks, i would be extremely interested. Keep us informed:thumbsup:

Clyde
02/10/2002, 05:38 PM
sentcha an email today - not sure if it works, RC changed their system :)

Lunchbucket
02/10/2002, 05:44 PM
hey dw you want to send me an email w/ the details when you are ready to hook me up w/ one

thanks
Lunchbucket

happy5869@yahoo.com

Lunchbucket
02/12/2002, 01:47 PM
any news??

later
Lunchbucket

DeathWish302
02/12/2002, 02:20 PM
My g-friend should be back Sat. afternoon, so pics my late Sat. or Sun. afternoon.

Velcro finally wrote me back and had this to say:

Dear Frank: We really do not have a waterproof adhesive . We do have an adhesive that we apply to both our polyester and nylon tapes that is water resistant. This is our 0174. As for harming aquatic life you would have to do some independent testing. The other companies that make these items may have done some testing and decided it had a minimal effect . I am attaching some product information guides and the list of the distributors that you can contact .
Sincerely
Customer Service
Velcro USA

:confused:

So are those pads really "non-toxic" as Magnavore, Algae Free, and Mighty Magnets claim or is this an attempt to keep me from the market. Would the other companies have a deal w/ Velcro so no one could enter the market?

I'm currently trying to get some answers from Algae Free, Magnavore, and Mighty Magnets but i'm not holding my breath until they tell me what the adhesive compound is. I've also contacted 3M on their line of loop fasteners, so maybe they have something suitable.

I have a roll of felt ordered, epoxy is on hold (i'm waiting to find out the Velcro adhesive compound first), i have a quote coming from the injection molder, and i have the magnets at the loading dock ready to go.

I really don't want to start production and say you have to buy the competitors pads, b/c i can't get them. If i make oddball sizes, then their pads may not even fit. As soon as i get the lowdown on the adhesive, i'll be ready for the prototype run of magnets.

Thanks for your support and patience,
DW302

Lunchbucket
02/12/2002, 05:05 PM
sounds great. thanks for the update

as usual there are a million and 1 hoops to jump through before you can start, hope it all works out

later
Lunchbucket

DeathWish302
02/13/2002, 11:16 AM
The last company in the world i expected to give me the compound code did. I would have never bet that Magnavore would hand it over. Well now that i know the code, waiting on a reply from a distributor, since i don't want to be stuck w/ the minimum $300 order direct from Velcro if i can only sell a couple dozen magnets.

Felt should be here by Thursday.

I also found an interesting composite site that had very similar looking molds to MightyMagnets. I measured mine, and what do you know. Change of plans, now a solid block of epoxy and no hassle w/ forming acrylic or ABS.

I have forwarded the magnet distributor to verify order, so it may make it by Friday if the order is filled and nothing backordered.

Now i'll make a couple "rough" prototypes with my new molds and you can compare them to acrylic and choose which you would like. The epoxy ones will be able to be smaller and cheaper though, so choose by what is important to you. As before, if you have a reasonable size of scrap wood from your hood, i can see what i can do with it for an external housing.
On that note, i found some carbon fiber fabric and thought maybe that for the external magnet would be different. Those carbon fiber external housings won't be for awhile yet, unless i have a high response.

Thanks,
DW302

nanonano
02/13/2002, 01:19 PM
Hello Deathwish
I've been thinking about getting a magnet for my tank for a while now but can't justify the cost. I would be very interested in your magnet. My tank is made by AGA 120gal 48"x24"x24" .Let me know what size magnet I would need and when it would be available.

Richard

Lunchbucket
02/13/2002, 04:41 PM
congrats dw!!!! sweet now you are in biz!

if you want to send me the small version of the prototype i will test it out for you...and give you what you need for it. i would gladly be a ginnea pig...i just need a damn magnet cleaner. the 24" kent one works great but i hate taking the hood off all the damn time!!

email me to work something out
happy5869@yahoo.com
thanks
Lunchbucket

NewMariner
02/13/2002, 05:18 PM
I think the only real way for you to drum up business is test subjects. It seems like a sound idea and youve got your ducks in a row. How long do you predict they last? Granted this is dependant upon usage...but from your designs do you think they would last 5 or more years? I would also like to be a "guinea pig" and would gladly pay you for a magnet. As I was searching last night for one and cant justify 125 bucks for a magnet. My wife would KILL me....especially after spending 240 dollars on a bunch of rocks.... Are you going to make custom sizes? Or just standard sizes? If it were me Id make a bigger magnet(surface area wise) for big tanks so that one wouldnt have to make so many swipes. Of course I doubt people would want a big huge magnet hanging on the side blocking their view. All in all I think its a great idea and if you can produce a product that is comparable to the top of the line magnets yet at more affordable price you will do good. I just wonder how much markup really is on those magnets....for 125 dollar magnet...parts are maybe what 30 bucks??? Maybe 20 bucks for Labor.....75 dollars in Profit???:eek1: :eek1: :eek1: Now you know why I havent purchased one. But let me know when you start producing them and shoot me a price..

DeathWish302
02/13/2002, 07:08 PM
NewMariner:

The epoxy i use is a marine suited epoxy and nearly everything these days is made of acrylic, so my best answer would be indefinitely (even 24/7 submersion). As for magnets, i'm not sure of half-lifes on Neodyium magnets, but i'm sure several decades could pass before you noticed the slightest degradation in performance.

I can make custom sizes, but this will also take a bit more time due to setting up the mold and forming the acrylic. There will probably be a standard line of 3 different sized magnets to accomodate most any application (+2" glass and it will become cost prohibitive with magnets).

My magnets may be similarly priced to commercial lines, but i'm certain mine will perform as good as their next highest model or in some cases the second highest (Lunchbox, you'll see what i mean w/ you smaller size needs). Neodyium magnets are expensive, so i can't work miracles if you have 1/2+" glass/acrylic, as i would rather put a larger magnet in than risk lag. Think of it as getting the next model up for the cost of the lower one. I'm in no way saying that i'm not trying to turn a profit, as i would like reimbursment for my time. If i spend $30 to make a smaller magnet, similar to a magnet between the Piranha and the Hammerhead, and spend 3 hours from start to finish would you think $7-10 is too bad? I think it's good deal for a "near" professional look with higher performance.

Anyway, those that would like to be "guinea pigs" and have emailed me, i'll be in touch soon. Those that would like too, do so quickly as the dozen or so spots will fill up fast.

I have also included a pic of a housing my buddy and i molded at his house tonight (seems i forgot he has a digital, maybe those finished pics will be on sooner that Sat. if i can find time from now until then).

Thanks for your interest and patience again,
DW302

Ltspd
02/13/2002, 07:30 PM
I would be intrested in one. I need one for up to 3/4 glass.

I have a Tunze and it does OK, did better but seems to have a hard time on the tough stuff. But for 25.00 what do you expect, :lol:

cacplkings
02/13/2002, 08:38 PM
Sent you mail. I would love to be a test case for a 80g custom 1/2 acrylic tank.

Chris

DeathWish302
02/14/2002, 12:11 AM
Sorry for any confusion, but let me clarify one of my previous statements.
The epoxy i use is a marine suited epoxy and nearly everything these days is made of acrylic, so my best answer would be indefinitely (even 24/7 submersion).

I previously thought one pigment i was looking at would block UV, but was mistaken. So no "epoxy-only" internal magnets, as i want nothing to do with liability of leaching metals. When i said a acrylic housed magnet, i meant colored acrylic not the clear as i'm experimenting with.

Hope this didn't confuse anyone, as i realized it was confusing later this evening and thought i should clarify.

Thanks,
DW302

P.S. Does anyone like the molded version, or would you want one that has the ends glued in? Just wondered.

David Corbett
02/14/2002, 12:44 AM
I would be interested, I use Mighty mags and Magnavores. I like the large size of Mighty Mags they clean fast but say like a Magnavore 6 even though it is weaker than a MM8 it will clean coraline better. I am not sure if it's more aggressive velcro on the magnavore or the increased surface area of the MM which spreads the force out therefore lowering the working pressure exerted over a given area.

Lunchbucket
02/14/2002, 10:29 AM
dw, as for glued or molded...really doesn't bother me. whatever is easiest....not a problem. just as long as it is small!! ;)

Lunchbucket

DeathWish302
02/14/2002, 07:27 PM
For those receiving a blank message, read the following and respond for Guinea Pig acceptance. Hotmail doesn't seem to be working for me tonight.

RC "Guinea Pigs",

If your reading this, your one of the selected few. I'll need specific info on requirements such as:

1)Color of internal housing: Blue or Black

2)Outside housing material: Acrylic or Wood, if wood; Red Oak or your personal scrap of hood material.

3)Thickness of glass or acrylic (This is very important for proper magnet selection). If you can't get a adequate value, we can try calling manufacturer's.

4)I must know if the tank is made of acrylic or glass (some to do with magnet selection, and which pad kit to send)

5)What dimension are you looking for the internal and external? (This is mainly dictated by thickness of aquarium, so exact specs may not be able to be met. Each case will be different, but the smallest i would like to go is 2"x1".)

Sorry this is a general letter sent to everyone, but this way is quicker for me. Price will be dependant on materials used and size, so prices may vary per order. I'll have some standard magnets made of with a set price in the near future though. Also, floatation models will not be available, as that's a whole other issue. Later, if you would like the flotation buoy it can be send to you free of charge for a extra "goodie" for participating as a guinea pig.

As for money transfer and when orders will be started to be produced, it's totally dependent on my school load and work schedule. Smaller magnets will be out the door sooner, as i have those magnets and can pretty quickly make one whereas larger/custom magnets take longer prep times and i may not have magnets in stock for all situations. I'll keep in touch on this issue if there is a problem.

Thanks for your patience and hope to hear from you soon,
DW302

Clyde
02/14/2002, 09:31 PM
so you're "Frank M" ??

i got 3 blank emails today from various people, so I m not sure whos who :)

but I m guessing your Frank M due to the emails that you 'cc'ed to which are familar to me as 'reefers'

Ltspd
02/15/2002, 05:39 AM
DeathWish302
Please keep my me in mind. If the GP's provide you with good feedback and you begin to make them I will be intrested, based on cost and performance.

DeathWish302
03/17/2002, 12:24 AM
Those interested in the product:

I have recently hit a brick wall in this project for now (maybe a month or so) as my employer has fallen to the 1.2 million mark in back-order to some major companies. Basically if your in the market for a new John Deere riding tractor, Toro mower, tiller,..., Harley, and the like you probably want me at work. We've recently closed a plant and i'm trying to get the shop in order for the increased load but i'm slipping fast.

I'd love to devote my free time to these magnets, but if i want to graduate anytime soon i play catch-up in my spare moments from work on it and read the boards when i can. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but i want a good product. I cannot throw them together and expect business (I know as we're experiencing this at work. Ouch, screw-ups hurt when flying personal to inspect our product and fines for breeching our delivery contracts.)

Anyway, this will happen when i get time or when i quit. Whichever comes first (hopefully not quitting: as this means we lost our accounts), you will receive magnets of high standards.

Thanks for your patience and i haven't forgotten you,
DW302

kstockman
03/17/2002, 09:53 AM
DO you have any for sale yet? I am in the market for some that would work on 3/4" thick.

If you could make some that move on their own by solar power that would be even better. So when it hits a wall it would go of in a randon direction. Wouldn't that be too cool.:bum:

stephane
03/17/2002, 08:48 PM
Why dont just made one like those on swimming pool that suck
aroud all day long by it self :D

DgenR8
03/18/2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by stephane
Why dont just made one like those on swimming pool that suck
aroud all day long by it self :D

I, for one, would LOVE to buy something that "Just sucks around all day long by it's self"!!!!! But then, I'd probably NEVER go to work!

ScottT
05/22/2002, 03:43 PM
Any update?

Lunchbucket
05/22/2002, 03:55 PM
yeah DW any update buddy? i could use one still ;)

Lunchbucket

MarkS
07/29/2002, 06:43 PM
I am about to make my own magnet scraper. The half that goes in the tank is going to be a piece of iron encased in acrylic. The outside half is going to be an electromagnet encased in acrylic. A battery would not be powerfull enough, so it will be powered with a DC power adaptor.

It will be nice to flip a switch and have the magnet release.

Just my idea...

Mark

Lunchbucket
07/29/2002, 07:59 PM
dw any more updates or are you not gonna do this???

Lunchbucket