PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Tank

Rastaman
07/05/2005, 05:44 PM
Here's the deal.

Just set up a 120G, 48x24x24.

Prior to adding rock, I mixed salt with RO/DI for four days. Tested water and salinity was 1.024. Temperature was 80. PH tested at 7.8. Everything else was 0. I was able to get almost 200lbs of rock from reefers either moving or getting out. All of the rock had been in tanks for a minimum of 2 years, most for 6. Within one hour of getting rock, I had it in the tank. Have tested every day and the highest ammonia has been was .5. Nitrate and nitrite have always been zero. PH has never been higher than 7.8.

My current parameters
Water Temp - 80.6
PH - 7.8
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Since all of my rock was fully cured, is it normal to see little or no cycle. Also, do I need to feed my rock. It has Zoos, feather dusters, acros, etc all over it. I also have a cleanup crew with live sand. Lastly, I did a 10% water change today and PH did still not change.

Suggestions or comments welcome.

Rick

Randy Holmes-Farley
07/05/2005, 09:08 PM
It is not especially surprising to see a small cycle with fully cured live rock. I'd track the ammonia until it disappears.

More aeration with fresh air, or a high pH additive system like limewater are the best ways to maintain normal pH if the alkalinity is normal (what is it?).

This article has additional details:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm