PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

msn711
07/04/2005, 07:23 PM
Always looking for ways to improve my tank, so...

Which of the following options would be your priority under the circumstances?

1. Upgrade skimmer from Prizm to Aqua C Remora Pro (HOT). I don't have a sump, and I would like to lower my nitrates.

2. Add a hang on tank/in tank refugium. Again to lower nitrates and perhaps produce pods for a future mandarin.

3. Add more corals.

4. An auto top off and refractometer.

What should I do first? Why?

dodo99
07/04/2005, 07:53 PM
I'd nix the AquaC and go for a Coralife SS125 AND an in-tank fuge.

...DoDo

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/04/2005, 07:56 PM
imo -- add a fuge of any type first
2nd-i would upgrade skimmer to aqua c or coralife super skimmer
3rd-auto top-off and refractometer
4th-corals

prodman
07/04/2005, 09:02 PM
water changes, skimmer, top- off and refractometer all in one step. Skip the fuge.

Scuba Oz
07/04/2005, 09:39 PM
Since you dont have a sump, and if this is in a well seen area, I would go with the skimmer first. The Aqua C not the Coralife! If looks dont matter, then fuge first then the skimmer. A refractometer should not even be on the list, its a staple of just having a tank, and the auto top off is all up to you and how much attention you pay to your tank. Why spend money when I look at it everyday and my arm is not broke, so I can add a little water to the tanks

phil519
07/05/2005, 10:35 AM
wow I'm shocked at the poll. I voted for the refractometer (and so did one other I guess). I agree with scuba oz that the meter should be a "must have" and not an upgrade item.

my 2 cents (fwiw): If your salinity is off measurably, you would likely be doing much more harm to your tank than any build-up in nutrients (that could be exporting via the skimmer/fuge). I'm talking specific gravity of 1.020 or 1.030.

So...my point is - the most important tool is choice 4 - refractometer. The Auto-top off will help maintain your salinity once you calibrate and measure it appropriately.

Then...if you have an issue with exporting nutrients...upgrade the skimmer and a purchase a fuge...but neither of these things replace the need for regular water changes (in terms of helping replace trace minerals and manage nitrates).

Good luck!

zoltetov
07/05/2005, 11:02 AM
I agree that you need to get a refractometer. I think step 1a would then be adding a fuge. If your goal is nitrate reduction, godo flow and good chaeto will do wonders for you. Then I'd go for the aquaC.

Kamko
07/05/2005, 11:11 AM
I voted for a fuge as well.

MiddletonMark
07/05/2005, 11:14 AM
Refractometer. For the price, why wait?

Skimmer, Top-Off are both great for second.

Corals only later. If you're in this hobby for the next decade - more than enough time to buy livestock.

fishinchick
07/05/2005, 12:56 PM
Why bother buying more livestock when you have a sub standard skimmer?

Get a better skimmer and your livestock will be healthier and grow more. Then you can afford to frag your corals and use that to get store credit to buy more corals.
Depending on your setup you can add a refugium with items that are laying around your house or usually set one up for under 20 bucks. ;)

NeilPearson
07/05/2005, 01:01 PM
Definitely refractometer #1

I think it didn't get more votes because it was lumped in with the auto-top off

The refractometer is definitely the best bang for the buck you can get in this hobby. I agree, this should be standard, must have equipment.

msn711
07/05/2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I realize the prizm isn't the greatest, but I'm wondering what will reduce nitrates more: a better skimmer or a fuge. [Of course, it would help if I didn't overstock every tank I own.] I'll definetly get the refractometer. I just have to decide on saving for the skimmer or fuge first. Thanks again everyone.

prodman
07/05/2005, 04:51 PM
the best way to reduce nitrates is water changes. Then you want a good skimmer to pull out organic matter before its converted to nitrates.