PDA

View Full Version : ammonia cycle/amoonia cleaner

skeet1
07/03/2005, 09:52 PM
I'm setting up a new tank in the morning. I cannot get the glass clean with vinegar. I'm going to add my sand-water-1/4 of my rock which is pretty much base but has some decent corraline on it and some stuff called turbo start that my lfs suggested. Also I'm starting my basic fuge-sand and rubble rock. My question is-if I'm going to go thru the ammonia cycle for 1-2 weeks anyways, would it be totally out of line to use glass cleaner to get that dang tank sparkling before I start adding water? Any thoughts welcome. Curtis

leroyk
07/03/2005, 10:36 PM
yes you can use the ammonia if it is the pure type, not scented or sudsy.the small amount should benefit the starter bacteria, ammonia is used a lot now that we are taking a responsible attitude about using live fish to cycle a tank( usually damsels)

skeet1
07/04/2005, 12:18 AM
I'm in the printing industry & the stuff I'm actually using is called film cleaner. Super fast evaporation rate-wont harm acetates or melt plastic-very good at removing oils. I think it will be probably less harsh than a store bought cleaner. It's my only option as I see it. I want the tank as spotless as I can get it before filling. I've re-sealed and painted the back-done several fillings, and you know all the prints-water spots- and silicone scrapings are just hard to remove. I'll let ya'll know if this works or if it's just a totally messed up way to go about. Hopefully everything will go as planned. If anyone thinks I'm messing up chime in. :rolleyes: Curt