PDA

View Full Version : Suction Overflow????

fish04
02/07/2002, 02:24 PM
Okay, now that I have your attention, here's my idea.
I have just started a 2 ½ gallon reef to go along with my 10. Now here's the issue. It's small! Okay you knew that already. What I want to do is build a sump for the tank to get the power head and heater out of the main tank. The live rock is my main “filtration� and I plan to get some bioballs for the sump.

My plan:
I plan to use ¼� or ½� PVC pipe to “suction� the water from the main tank into another 2 ½ gallon tank below my desk. The lower tank would only have 1 ½ gallons of water. The PVC suction would sit about 2� below the surface so even if electric went out it wouldn’t siphon the whole tank, just the first 2� which would easily be saved in the sump.
The return would be a ¼� PVC attached top the power head in the sump. I would use a spraybar built from the ¼� PVC to return water to the tank.

Basically it’s an over flow, minus the overflow!

Picture this:
3 PVC elbows to go over the corner of the tank for both intake and return, and straight PVC or flexible tubing from the PVC elbows into the sump. And vice versa! Of course suction cups to keep it all in place.

My question:
Do you all think this will work? (I can’t drill the tempered glass)

Any problems you foresee?

Thanks for the help!

2hi4u2c
02/07/2002, 02:45 PM
Hmmm,
What happens when the power comes back on, and the power head in the sump pumps ALL the water back into the main tank? The siphon on you're "overflow" will have been lost... Or did you already devise a way to restart it?
Alan

fish04
02/07/2002, 07:17 PM
I got a great answer from another forum. A gentleman sent me his design for a self priming "overflow" box made out of PVC tubing. Anyone interested the website is http://www.eparc.com/diy/overflows/williard/overflow.shtml
The directions are easy and will cost about $10 to make. It looks like a great setup I'm going to try it this weekend.
Thanks for the help!