PDA

View Full Version : How much salt in a single gallon of water?

JxMetal
07/02/2005, 10:50 PM
Hi, I'm going to do my first water change tomorrow. I was wondering how much sand should I add to a gallon of water to keep my specific gravity at the correct level. If anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

chrisp074
07/02/2005, 10:56 PM
It's really something you have to test. A little less than 1/2 cup per gallon is a good place to start and then add from there after testing.

-Chris

reefwick
07/02/2005, 10:58 PM
Hope you have a hydrometer or a refractometer. If not get one and add slowly. You'll get a feel for it and it'll be a quick job in no time.

artis
07/02/2005, 10:59 PM
Couple of thoughts here. First, the salt manufacturer should offer a rough estimate. For example, I just checked my Instant Ocean bucket and it says 1/2 cup per gallon. Second, I'd strongly recommend you don't trust to volume measurements. Check your specific gravity in both the tank water and replacement water with a hydrometer or better yet, a refractometer. I'd suggest you get them the same or at least within .001.

You might want to keep track measurement wise of the amount of salt required to get to just the right measure of salinity.

You'll want to mix the water a day in advance too. For my part, I have a rubber maid trash can (only used for water changes)marked at 16 gallons. I drop in the amount of salt to get to the right level (for me, 1.025 = 9 cups in 16 gallons, but sometimes I have to add a bit of water.) Then I drop in a heater and old power head (submersible of course) and let the water warm and circulate. Next day, I'm good to go with water changes. Even though I do the same thing time after time, I still check the salinity before changing.

JxMetal
07/02/2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do that tonight before I go to bed and then I guess I'll do the change on Monday, it'll give it time to dissolve and settle.

Steelslinger75
07/03/2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JxMetal
Hi, I'm going to do my first water change tomorrow. I was wondering how much sand should I add to a gallon of water to keep my specific gravity at the correct level. If anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

I would not any more sand to your water jug... :lol:

In all honesty, you need to use a refractometer or hydrometer to adjust the sg to thge correct level. I keep my reef at 1.025.

John

JxMetal
07/03/2005, 09:15 AM
On second thought adding sand to my water probably wouldn't help ;)

You know what I meant. Thanks for the advice.

chadfarmer
07/03/2005, 12:30 PM
if you need a hydrometer i have one that you can have.

fishman805
07/03/2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by artis
Couple of thoughts here. First, the salt manufacturer should offer a rough estimate. For example, I just checked my Instant Ocean bucket and it says 1/2 cup per gallon. Second, I'd strongly recommend you don't trust to volume measurements. Check your specific gravity in both the tank water and replacement water with a hydrometer or better yet, a refractometer. I'd suggest you get them the same or at least within .001.

You might want to keep track measurement wise of the amount of salt required to get to just the right measure of salinity.

You'll want to mix the water a day in advance too. For my part, I have a rubber maid trash can (only used for water changes)marked at 16 gallons. I drop in the amount of salt to get to the right level (for me, 1.025 = 9 cups in 16 gallons, but sometimes I have to add a bit of water.) Then I drop in a heater and old power head (submersible of course) and let the water warm and circulate. Next day, I'm good to go with water changes. Even though I do the same thing time after time, I still check the salinity before changing.

Good advice... that's how I do mine ( still using a hydrometer though .... next on the list is a good refractometer... more precise )