PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer?

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 02:54 PM
Is it possible to add a protein skimmer to an eclipse system? If not can i keep corals in there if i keep up with water changes and everything? If i cant are there any corals that i can keep in there with out one?
thanks

Randall_James
07/02/2005, 03:09 PM
Lots of Nano tank owners do not run skimmers.

You need to do regular water changes however. (you should anyway). I have a 24 gallon nano that has never had a skimmer and does just fine (25% waterchange every 5 days) There are no corals that you can not keep unless your lighting is not up to par.

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 03:25 PM
well i have as of now just halogens( dont know how to spell it) but today im getting some marine lighting and if someone could tell me some to get that would be great, but cant be PC, or MH just like ones that will fit in an eclipse, aslo if someone could suggest some moon lighting that would be great too, thanks

sarduci
07/02/2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Randall_James
Lots of Nano tank owners do not run skimmers.

You need to do regular water changes however. (you should anyway). I have a 24 gallon nano that has never had a skimmer and does just fine (25% waterchange every 5 days) There are no corals that you can not keep unless your lighting is not up to par.

I'll second that. My 20g long I have everything holding in while I finish up rebuilding my 90 is running fine without a skimmer. It has a magnum filter with carbon in it and everything has been running good (20 different kinds of zoanthids are now officially stuck to the egg crate i was lifting them with *sigh*) now for 8 weeks. Going to do my first water change tomorrow though, since there hasn't been any algae or any kind of cycle since no food is getting put in there.

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 03:29 PM
well people at the LFS say that a skimmer is a must, are they just trying to make some money off of me?

sarduci
07/02/2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by aquaman3680
well i have as of now just halogens( dont know how to spell it) but today im getting some marine lighting and if someone could tell me some to get that would be great, but cant be PC, or MH just like ones that will fit in an eclipse, aslo if someone could suggest some moon lighting that would be great too, thanks

Try looking at 150w metal halide lights. You could try a 250w or a 175w, but I'm not sure if you'd run into heat issues. I have two 250w on a 90 and I have heat issues in a house that's 75 all day (or less) with an open top. No fans though. It's the main reason I'm rebuilding my 90g. But it all may have been due to a faulty heater..... *sigh*

sarduci
07/02/2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by aquaman3680
well people at the LFS say that a skimmer is a must, are they just trying to make some money off of me?

Skimmers are helpful. If you don't have one, you'll need to change more water more often if you have to feed your tank. If you want all photosynisys friendly corals and NO other livestock, you would just have to monitor levels of trace chemicals and add when needed or you start having algae outbreaks. A massive water change (like 50%) would dilute the stuff in the water and then you'd just go back to monitoring.

Randall_James
07/02/2005, 03:38 PM
Well some do believe it is a "Must" I know from my experience that regular water changes will suffice. Not sure I would ever go 8 weeks (1 week max for my tanks) but I doubt few here would say that you "Must" have a skimmer. Just a matter of personal preference. I run skimmers on my bigger tanks just because 25% water changes every week is both costly and a PITA when working with bigger tanks. My nano is just a single bucket out and a bucket in. This also btw provides all the trace elements and you will not need to be dosing stuff.

"The solution to pollution is dilution" is a great line

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 03:57 PM
alright im about to leave to go get lights can someone tell me what kind to get not MH or PC just regular lights

Randall_James
07/02/2005, 04:04 PM
LOL what kind of stuff are you going to keep in your tank? Anemones, SPS and some corals will just not do real well with less than MH.

My 24 has 96Watts of PC and keeps anything but SPS, Anemones and clams.

My other 24 has 72watts of PC and 70Watts of MH. I keep what ever I want in that one.

What is your budget?? <-- really most important part :D

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 04:07 PM
no anemones because they make too much of a mess when they die and they are hard to keep, and whats a SPS? no clams either probably some soft corals and leathers. but i will keep them to the top of the tank well budget is as little as possible because i dont have that much money and i know MHs are expensive

Randall_James
07/02/2005, 04:11 PM
PC's should do you just fine. ( I would say 96Watts or better) SPS is Small Polyp Stonies. Soft corals are fine under PC's and the leather will need to be near the top.

You can always surf the For sale section here at RC and find some good deals on PC's (guys upgrading to MH)

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 04:13 PM
well how would i put them in an eclipse system do i just take out the lighting thats in there now and just maybe buy a retro fit or do i wire it by myself?

Randall_James
07/02/2005, 04:44 PM
Hmmm I do not have an Eclipse but sure someone will come along that does. :D

aquaman3680
07/02/2005, 07:35 PM
oh well i was thinking about getting a 12 gallon nano cube are they any good, i would use it for a hospital tank.

sylaak
07/02/2005, 07:41 PM
The JBJ nano cubes are great. There is a website, http://www.nanocustoms.com/ that specializes in modified nanocubes. They add better lighting, upgraded overflow and chillers all build into the nanocube. Good stuff. Eventually I'll be getting one of those bad boys.