PDA

View Full Version : How do I quiet this type of drain

ajm-vfr
07/02/2005, 10:59 AM
Hi All

Sorry if this is a common question. I spent about 3 hours searching for for this type of setup. It's similar to a durso, but just different enough I'm not sure what to do.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/92688Drain.jpg

I have a 125 gal drilled tank. I'm not sure my exact flow rate because of a long head height(10 Vertical + 12 Horizontal). But I'm estimating about 700 gph. I have two of these, there 1 1/2 inch. So each drain is handling about 350 GPH.

It's not excessively noisy. but it has a pretty loud water falling sound. I have not drilled the end caps to the left of the pic, but if I tank the cap of it is very loud.

The elbow you can see is at an angle with a strainer on the end. I set it at an angle to control the water height.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/92688drain2.jpg

Thanks

pimp2daizzo
07/02/2005, 09:59 PM
you should be albe to do it whit out the angle.the elbe should end right out the top of the water line and should flow the right way and you could put a brack somewhere in the line whit a on/off thing.by doing that you can open or close off the water flow or slow it down.but you shoudl be good how much water in in the sump...b/c i know mine makes a lil sound but not much just like a rain sound i guess you can say....If you woudl like more help on this come ot my site and leave a post and my friends will help you they no more about this.

Site : www.pimp.anybodii.com

Fonchy
07/02/2005, 10:05 PM
This might help.
Stockman pipe
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm

ajm-vfr
07/02/2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Fonchy
This might help.
Stockman pipe
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe-ken_stockman.htm

I thought about that, but I'm not seeing how to implement it in my situation. Would I have to do down before I go up?

As I've been playing with this I've realized that half of the noise is the water sloshing around in the sanitary Tee behind the tank. I hope using that instead of a normal Tee was not a bad decision.

Thanks

macro
07/02/2005, 11:44 PM
you could just put a peice of bio type sponge in there the hole big to were it wont go down the pvc.this is what i do on my overflow to keep it hush hush and works very good.
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7628/reef7am.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

merlock116
07/03/2005, 03:19 AM
when u say the noise is coming from the "water falling" sound... do you mean when the water exits into the sump?

Codeman00
07/03/2005, 03:21 AM
ajm-vfr, I have coquered all of the sound issues with that type of setup. Is it the slurping sound you are hearing from the strainer drains? Is it the noise you notice if you remove the caps? Or is it the actual water rushing throught the pipes that you're trying to get rid of?

Loud toilet sound in the top of the tee (w/out the T cap) - Put a cap on it (like you already have). If you aren't letting enough air through because you put a cap on it, you need to buy a few caps and experiment a little. Drill a hole in the top of the cap for a 1/4" OD tube to fit in. Since you are using 1 1/2 pipe, you might want to start with 3/8" hole and tube. If when doing this, the strainers start to slurp, you arent letting enough air in through the tube, so the strainer starts sucking air....you then need to drill another hole and add another tube in the cap until it quits slurping. You will need to experiment here.

I had one drain that was flowing so much water for its small size that even with 3 1/4" tubes in the cap, it still was noisy (coming from the tubes). I then siliconed another cap over top of it so I had 3 small holes in the lower cap (without tubes) and one larger 3/8" hole in the top cap that had a tube. That quieted it down.

2) Waterfall noise from the pipes themselves...(noise where you can hear the water rushing in the pipes). I bought this 1/2" thick AmericaMat mass dense soundproofing foam from http://www.soundproofingamerica.com/. I wrapped my noisy pipes up with this stuff (with the help of some black duct tape) and it knocked the noise down to almost nothing...I was shocked at the difference! All I hear now is the pump fans and just a faint noise of running water. I would really recommend this stuff if this is the type of noise your trying to eliminate.

keefsama2003
07/03/2005, 05:28 AM
what i did was turn the elbow so the strainer is facing down drill a little hole in the cap. and slowly make it bigger until the noise goes away. i have 0 noise coming from my drain and i have 1 1/2" drains.

ajm-vfr
07/03/2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Codeman00
ajm-vfr, I have conquered all of the sound issues with that type of setup. Is it the slurping sound you are hearing from the strainer drains? Is it the noise you notice if you remove the caps? Or is it the actual water rushing through the pipes that you're trying to get rid of?

Yes to all 3. The strainer drain is the least of the problems, I think it is the quietest of the 3.

The gurgling sound in the tee is the worst, Any pipe noise I hear is from this area.

When you inserted the tube, how far into the pipe do you feed it.

I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the endcap last night and it got really loud. I know I have a lot of bubbling here, because if I take an endcap off, the water splashes out of the tub.

When you wrapped the drains with the soundproofing, did you only wrap the unions, or the whole drain line.

My lines go though the floor. I know I have noise at the sump, but I can't hear it from the tank.

Codeman00
07/03/2005, 09:53 AM
<b> The gurgling sound in the tee is the worst, Any pipe noise I hear is from this area. When you inserted the tube, how far into the pipe do you feed it?</b>
I would personally lengthen the top pipes out of the tee until water is not splashing out of them. Mine are longer than yours and I'm only using 1" pipe. In my system, it didn't matter how far I inserted the tubing..I just stuck it in there and it acts as something close to a firearm siliencer...you're slowing down the rushing air. Some people say theres a sweetspot length to insert the tubing...I didnt find it...it just got quieter by experimentation.

<b>I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the endcap last night and it got really loud. I know I have a lot of bubbling here, because if I take an endcap off, the water splashes out of the tube.</b>
I can't imagine you needing a 1/4 hole here. I would go to a 3/8" right off the bat and you will have to use tubing to quiet it down. Using only a hole will echo very loud which you found out. You might have to use 2 or 3 holes with tubing in each.<When you wrapped the drains with the soundproofing, did you only wrap the unions, or the whole drain line. </b>
The noise was the worst at the 90s and 45s...but it was loud mostly everywhere. I wrapped the entire thing (elbows, unions, and ball valves) from the tank to right where it goes underneath the stand. I left the ball valve handle sticking out, of course. It worked....I actually can't believe it worked so well.

<b>My lines go though the floor. I know I have noise at the sump, but I can't hear it from the tank.</b> This is good that you can't hear it..but the splashing sump can be quieted down too. I had the same problem.

masgrada
07/03/2005, 11:59 AM
Here is a diagram of a completley silent drain.
www.msu.edu/~thonnich/silentdrain.gif