PDA

View Full Version : Brittlestar

Reefn00b
07/01/2005, 11:16 AM
Hey guys I was just curious how many of you have brittlestars or some sort of starfish in your tanks. I've read that they are great sand sifters but will eat pods and other valuable items in the sandbed or under rocks.... Whats your experience with these?

Rick'sReef
07/01/2005, 12:19 PM
I don't know that brittle stars do that much sifting, but, they are good as scavengers to clean up uneaten food. They may eat pods, not sure of this, but, if the tank is mature with a fuge, I don't think a brittle star would deplete the population. One watch out! I once had a large green b. star that became proficient at catching and eating my small gobies. He would position himself close to the hole where my goby lived and trap them with his arms. The big guy had to go after he ate my second goby. Don't know if this is normal behavior, but, I'd stay away from the large ones, say larger than 4-5" in diameter. There are sand sifting stars that essentially bury themselves in the sand and you hardly ever see them. They are whitish grey in color. You could use a combination of brittles and sand sifters. You might consider nassarius snails. They are excellent scavengers and they burrough in the sand and keep it sturred.

Reefn00b
07/01/2005, 12:39 PM
Im definitely gonna get some nassarius snails for sure. The main reason I ask is because lots of people say they are good for the reasons you mentioned. One reason I was asking is because I was noticing a lil bit of algae sprouting up from my sand bed, and I thought the nassarius snails combined with a b. star may help out. Any other recommendations? Right now I only have about 5 ceriths and 5 blue leg crabs

Eight
07/01/2005, 12:53 PM
Sand sifting starfish are really good at ... sand sifting. :D

They're white/gray and look like regular starfish as opposed to serpent/brittle stars. I have one in my 72g and he keeps the sand nicely stirred.

Reefn00b
07/01/2005, 12:58 PM
Anyone got a pic :)

Reefn00b
07/01/2005, 01:26 PM
Aaaaaaaaaand a new (stupid) question, can you ahve a sand sifting star and brittle star in the same tank?

bugshop
07/01/2005, 06:58 PM
I had a problen with my large brittle star eating my snails.

You can collect your own snails that will work perfecft in your sandbed.

Timmy

will1021
07/01/2005, 08:23 PM
I had a green brittle star. It ate my saddleback clown yellow tang and half my snails before he "got taken care of". They seem to be fine when they are small, but when they get bigger watch out.

Will

jjac
07/01/2005, 10:15 PM
I have heard time and time again about the brittle stars eating fish. I would stay away form them all together. Why not get a serpent star of some sorts. I have a bunch off the snails that Timmy is talking about if you want some. Rick is supposed to come get some as well. You are welcome to em'.

Reefn00b
07/01/2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by jjac
I have heard time and time again about the brittle stars eating fish. I would stay away form them all together. Why not get a serpent star of some sorts. I have a bunch off the snails that Timmy is talking about if you want some. Rick is supposed to come get some as well. You are welcome to em'.

I may take you up on that Jimmy :) Quick question what are the real differences between the serpent star and the brittle star? Other than appearance

dvmsn
07/01/2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah I agree with everybody else. Stay clear of brittle stars. I also had one that ate fish. You definately need to go up on your herbivour load. I personally like the astreas for general algae control. I would recommend 15-20 for a tank your size. I also like blue leg hermits although a lot of people complain about them. Like Timmy said, you can get all of the nassarius snails you want for free in the inlet. I don't think they do as good of a job as the astreas as they will eat detritus and fish food as well. The astreas only eat algea. Be real careful about introducing anything local to your tank with out quarantining it for at least a couple of weeks. There are a bunch of parasites in the local water. I had hyriods literally wipe out a tank in two days from local hermits.

Rick'sReef
07/01/2005, 11:13 PM
Aaaaaaaaaand a new (stupid) question, can you ahve a sand sifting star and brittle star in the same tank?

No problem that I'm aware of. The two don't compete for the same food. The b. stars stay up in the rocks and the sand sifters stay down in the sand. However, I tend to agree with jjac, why take the chance with b. stars? I think the blue legged hermits and the nassarius snails make a better and safer clean-up crew. The astreas are also good algae eaters, but, they've never lived very long in my tank. Then again, short tank life is also supposed to be an issue with nassarius snails as well. I just added about 200 of them between my two tanks, so, I'm gonna find out how long they live.

bugshop
07/02/2005, 09:18 AM
I feel that brittle and serpent stars will eat anything they can catch. I had a green and brown eat snails in my tank.
And hermit crabs will herass snails for their shells.
The only snails that seem to stay unbothered in my tank
are the ones that stay on the glass.
My hermit crabs days are numbered in my tank.

And what ever you do do NOT put any local crabs of any kind into your reef tank!!!
I had one (a mud crab) that looked like a brown emerald crab (that I was told was reef safe) Kill off over 1/2 my snails before
I KILLED his little @$$.

Timmy

tomterreefic
07/02/2005, 07:52 PM
I had a brittle star that ate a pygmy angel, a royal gramma, a blue-line psuedochromis and countless snails before I realized that it was him that was doing the work. He had to go. I've heard that they are typically fine if you keep them well fed with shrimp about once a week. But I wouldn't risk it.