PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang With Unidentifiable Problem

MantisLover
06/29/2005, 11:20 AM
I have a yellow tang that has been rubbing not what I would call hard striking around its belly area, lower gill area and occasionally its side area for about 5 days. Either on the rock work, corals, or sand bed...... mainly the area underneath the mouth or belly. Sometimes before it does strike it twiches the lower belly fins and it seems to be only its left side not its right. Whats got me confused is there are no visible signs of ich......what you'd see are not there. If its not ich and the tang did not get stung by a coral what could it be. I have witnessed the royal gramma and my flame hawk strike but they have no visible signs of ich either. It seems to center around the gill area on them but when they do strike its just once and its over. The tang however is striking several times in a row. All these fish I've had either for a year or longer. The only thing that has changed is I tore down the tank they were in and set up a larger tank. Water parameters are excellent so the problem is not there. Before I moved them they did battle a case of ich but the only one that suffered from the parasite was the royal gramma and I lost my fuzzy lion. The tang and the flame hawk never showed any problems. While the larger tank they are now in was being set up they were kept for two months in my moms 75 gallon she moved her fish to a 55 gallon. She never had an ich break out in this tank and I had my aqua uv sterilizer running on her 75 that they were in. They never showed these symptoms while they were in my moms tank at least not that my mom saw. So you can see I'm at a loss for what could be going on with them right now. Thanks for any comments or information you might have.

MantisLover

SAT
06/30/2005, 09:49 AM
Sounds like you have an irritant in the tank, mostly likely affecting the gills. It could be some form of parasite (e.g., gill flukes) or it could be something in the water (particularly likely if it's a new setup). Water tests don't give the whole picture for water quality, so I'd start with some water changes and fresh activated carbon. If that doesn't help, you could try a freshwater dip or formalin bath on one of the fish. Use a clean container and see if anything drops off.

Be careful with dips and baths... it's easy to cause more harm than good. Here are some instructions:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/treatments.html