PDA

View Full Version : DSB Question....

GoodgREEF
02/06/2002, 03:23 PM
DSB Question....

I have noticed that my DSB has dwindled down to 3" of so 4" in other spots. (Calcium erosion?) Would adding another layer of live sand on top of the existing bed kill the bacteria on the original top layer.

I want to make sure I have a deep benficial bed but do not want to destroy the bio load. Should I add a cup here a cup there over a period of days? Any advice would be great!

I buy bagged live sand from my LFS for around $1.10 per pound and it is teaming with benificials.

G-money
02/06/2002, 05:26 PM
Most likely the decrease is due to compaction and perhaps a bit of dissolving. Noticeable dissolving usually requires a lower pH than you will find in a marine aquarium, therefore I'm sure it's just compaction.

As for adding more, you can sure do that, but you are also right in thinking you can harm the bed. The upper inch or so is composed of organisms that need O2 and will be suffocated if you just dump on them. Also, if you add too much, you will get that lovely milky look in your tank for a day or two. The sand can also settle on your live rock and harm / kill certain organisms. I would add it slowly. Just be sure you spread it as good as possible and minimize cloudiness. Pre-rinsing is an option and will reduce cloudiness at the expense of losing the smallest particles. That's up to you. If it's an oolitic (sugar) sized bed, 3-4 inches is plenty anyway (IMO).