PDA

View Full Version : ASM Skimmer Question

TBR701
06/28/2005, 08:38 PM
Just received a ASM G-5 skimmer by UPS today. Skimmer was damaged in shipping. The tab area of the cone was broken where the collection cup connects. The gray rim on the collection cup was also scraped up on the inside. The breaks were minor and am working with dealer I purchased it from for replacement parts.

The collection cup did not fit very well to the cone. Not sure if this was because it was broken or is the collection cup always difficult to remove? The dealer indicated this was usual for an ASM skimmer, advised I should have purchased a Euro-Reef. If I had the extra $400 to blow, I might have.

Can anyone advise if they have difficulty locking the collection cup onto the cone. Normally will it just slide in the notch and twist?

TBR

jsbzmcdaniel
06/28/2005, 08:58 PM
Well....First of all if the dealer told you that he is on crack! This is not "Usual" for the skimmer. It seems the dealer is trying to get you to fork over some $ to line his pocket. The cone should slide on the notches and you should be able to twist it without a problem. If I were you I would send the whole thing back and ask for a replacement or your money back.

The ASM is a fine skimmer and you should not have a problem what so ever with it. How was the skimmer packaged? Was it in the factory box and fit foam?

Chap
06/29/2005, 02:28 AM
I agree, your dealer is wrong. The collection cup on an ASM is pretty easy to remove, that's one of the selling points of the ASM. My G4 takes a slight twist and the cup is unlocked and ready to be removed.

If the skimmer body is still in good shape I would demand a new cone/ neck and collection cup. If the body is damaged as well ship it all back and get a new skimmer (ASM of course :D )

TBR701
06/29/2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks for your input. I had not seen the ASM skimmers in person before I order it. I had head a lot of positive about them. The dealer filed a claim with UPS and is getting me a new cone. I think I will also demand a new collection cup to.

The skimmer came in the factory packaging but appears to have been opened before it was shipped. The box was pretty beat up in shipping.

tbr701

Highlander
06/29/2005, 09:28 AM
Wondering who the dealer is?
I have had some good experiences, and some bad with ASM dealers, so further info would be interesting.

TBR701
06/29/2005, 12:07 PM
I am not going to say anything bad about the dealer. If it was damaged in shipping it is not his fault. They have a good reputation on this site and I have order a lot of items from them in the past without any problems.

tbr701

Highlander
06/29/2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TBR701
I am not going to say anything bad about the dealer. If it was damaged in shipping it is not his fault. They have a good reputation on this site and I have order a lot of items from them in the past without any problems.

tbr701

Fairy Nuff :)