PDA

View Full Version : bubbles from drain got me down.

respite
06/28/2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks to brandon, im now the proud owner of a 30 gallon amiracle sump and a gri 14410 return. Very nice, almost silent pump. The only noise i hear is the water dropping a few inches into the over flow. Seems the aga overflow kit does not produce the gurgle i was expecting.

My drain line ends about half an inch under the water line, in the middle of the sump.

The only problem is the ammount of bubbles which are introduced to the sump water. Seems my display is now full of micro bubbles.

Would a filter sock take care of this? Should i cut the pvc and extend it to the far end of the sump opposite of the return? Both? Neither?

Charlie Davidson
06/28/2005, 05:39 AM
I think you had several good Ideas, add piping run return to far side. I angled pipe so water ran down side of slump above water level. this slowed splashing. sock will do it, a foam block-just prior to pump can help. (not attached to pump) If you add media like this make sure to keep it clean.

SunDragon
06/28/2005, 08:30 AM
definitly move the plumbing to the other side. This will give the bubbles time to disapate as they cross the sump. Both a sock and a foam block you will have to change and clean often to keep from becoming a nitrate factory, or causing an overflow.

respite
06/28/2005, 01:20 PM
I cut and extended the drainline to the far corner of the sump.

In the process i seem to have broken the silicon seal i made on the leaky bulkhead. I think the drip is comming from a place i cant get my finger to due to the stand. Can i get bulkheads from lowes or home depot or am i going to have to order one online?

SunDragon
06/28/2005, 01:27 PM
Nope. What kind do you need?

respite
06/28/2005, 02:09 PM
one inch. threaded on both sides.

SunDragon
06/28/2005, 02:10 PM
Marvin has them, or Fish world. I have 1 at the house if you want it also.

respite
06/28/2005, 02:15 PM
I drained all the water out of the overflow. I guess im going to try sealing with silicone again, as i dont think ill be able to get a ride out to marvins until the weekend anyway.

Car died again the other week. Think its the starter. I dont think im going to bother fixing it. Might try selling it for next to nothing. Im tired of dumping cash into it.

AQUAN8TOR
06/28/2005, 02:23 PM
eric, you have a new PM

respite
06/29/2005, 02:29 AM
Thanks nate! The part delivery was above and beond the call of duty.

I had to saw off a pvc fitting, then take plyers to the screw part of the old bulkhead to get it loose. There was no way for me to get a grip on the nut of the old one with the small plyers i have. Its in a weird place anyway. The stand gets in the way.

Tomorrow (tech. today as its 320am) is my 26th birthday. I cant wait to run to lowes to get the fitting i need. My birthday gift to myself is to get this sump up and running so i no longer have to break my back holding 40 pound jugs six feet in the air. Sumpless salt tanks are a nightmare when you change as much water as i do.