PDA

View Full Version : good deal?

NYBen
06/27/2005, 08:24 PM
Are these colonies a good deal?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=619953

These look nice, and big for the money. I don't have the lighting (or experience), to support these right now, but would love a couple frags in 6-8 months if someone else decides to get them. I PM'd him this morning and he still has them. Seems eager to sell...he may even do better on the price.

I thought about buying them and having the LFS keep them for a week until I can get some Halides. $20 is the cost of a frag, why not buy a colony for the same price?

Anybody w/ Halides interested? I'll split them with you? Let me know...

Anyway...just an FYI to you SPS lovers.

S Helinski
06/28/2005, 10:52 PM
For the size of the colonies, they are a good price. But actually, if you look close, these colonies are not doing very well. Now it could be the (hopefully) temporary lighting they are under, or the camera used to take the picture, or maybe the guy's tank is messed up from knocking it down. But The first pic, the stag, if you look, there are some dead spots, not a good sign, the polyps are out, but the color does not look good either.
The second coral, the green slimer, has some dead spots too, but overall, it looks ok. the last coral, i assume it is a tricolor acropora, and color wise, it does not look good at all. It should have greenish brown body, with deep purple tips, and nice colored (i think green) polyps.

Anyways, they are a good price, and could come around. But you have to look close, so you don't buy damaged goods. Wait until you get halides, and make sure you research your options first, spend a little extra and get good stuff, so you don't decide to upgrade a year or two down the road.

Check this out: http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Steve

There are many people in URS that can sell you or trade you cheap sps frags. But unless they are close to you, you might have to wait for a meeting.

NYBen
06/28/2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input...I am picking up some Halides this week, and didn't want to jump into SPS right away anyway, but...the prices looked good, and I thought "well maybe?". Well, i'll get some experience under my belt first, then make the inevidable jump to SPS. Anyway, thanks again for the input.