PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better powerhead attachment?

PuffersKick
06/27/2005, 11:25 AM
I just added a new powerhead to the lower portion of my tank. Instead of just blowing straight in one spot I wanted to create a moving current. I found these two attachments and wanted to know which would be better.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83549BIOFLO.jpg

OR

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83549oscillator.jpg

The first is the Hydor BIOFLO Aerobic filter and the second is an oscillator. And I also need to be sure it will work on a RIO 900.

Thanks.

slipknottin
06/27/2005, 11:39 AM
They make the bio flo's without that sponge part.

They work great, assuming you clean them out every 3 months or so, and they are relatively small and provide great water turbulence.

The oscillator is pretty large and ugly looking. And I imagine it needs to be cleaned every few months as well.

1package
06/27/2005, 01:31 PM
I have used both.

They will each work with a maxijet, the bio flow has rubber adapters the RIO brand is a little large and will require a small shim of some type. I am using the bio flow on my frag tank and used the RIO brand for a couple of years on my 125g.

I have not had any issues with the bio flow and the RIO worked well for 2+ years.

They both restrict the flow (some), the BIO flow, to me, seemed to have the most flow but since coming from 2 outputs harder to say.

The RIO definitely looks uglier.

Neither require(d) much in the way of Maint. They work longer and get clogged less than the screens on the power heads so if you clean on them about the same intervals - no problems.

I have only had the BIO flow since April so not that much history. It may fall apart after 6 months - who knows.

Hope this helps you out.

PuffersKick
06/27/2005, 01:59 PM
Well, I'm not concerned about the looks b/c the powerhead is down low behind some rocks where I won't see it anyway. My main goal is to disbuse the flow so it gets better coverage across the bottom of my tank. Right now the current just shoots out in the one direction all day long.

ziac
06/27/2005, 05:33 PM
i have used a bio flow for about 8 mounths now with no problems at all i have one with out the filter and have it running on a catilina 1200 pump about 325 gph i like it a lot