PDA

View Full Version : Need help with water tests

slowhand383
06/26/2005, 12:03 PM
Lately I've been experiencing problems in my tank with red slime, green hair algae, and mushrooms and zoa's not opening up. Except for po4 which is at 0.1 every thing else is zero and ph is at 8.3. The only test I have are Amm, NO2, NO3, PO4 strips, and a hydrometer. Is there any other test that are critical for me to have that can explain my zoa's and mushrooms closing on me. The cyano problem is fading away quickly after adding chemipure but ever since certain corals havent been the same. I think my problem may be related to temp fluctuations but I need to test the water accuratly to be sure. What esle should I test for? Thanks...

DaveC
06/27/2005, 06:32 AM
Most tanks and corals can take a small temp swing over a period of the day into the night...mine does a 4 to 6 degree with no problems, only a few zoo's though in my tank....have you tested your PH both day and night, that may be swinging also with the algea in your tank....as phosphates may be present is larger amounts than you think but getting consumed by the red slime and hair algea...really the biggest things to test for are ammo, nitrites, nitrates, phos, calc & alk, but in your case I don't think shrooms and zoo's are to concerned with calcium, but plays a role in keeping your alk levels, so testing is good...
I used to add iodine for my shrooms and they used to do well, but you need to test for iodine first...

DaveC

alten78
06/27/2005, 12:19 PM
might suggest upgrading your test kits, strips aren't the most accurate. While more expensive, seachem and salifert are highly recommended. I used a hydrometer for about 7 months before i finally bought a refractometer, while i didn't have any major problems the hydrometer was off by a nice chunk (was reading lower than actual.)

Quick question though, is the hair & cyano close/on the shrooms and zoo's?

errorcode303
07/07/2005, 10:42 PM
i went to my lfs last week and they told me my salinity was too low, but i test it on my instant ocean hydrometer at 1.025 which is perfect but lfs use the Refractometer and test it at 1.021 my hydrometer can be that much off? right now my salinity is at 1.029 i feel like its way too high, i dont have much in my tank right now. should i get a Refractometer and if so which one? how about this one at ebay ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=3984473199&rd=1

thc0916
07/08/2005, 02:13 AM
liveaquaria.com has them on sale right now...and you can get better test kits while you're there as well