PDA

View Full Version : someone pls help me with ich outbreak..

fc.pride
06/26/2005, 02:13 AM
ive had my tank for 9-10 mths now. everything was going great.. recently i added a xenia, torch, and frogspawn over a period of 3 weeks. now i notice my 2 blue tangs have white ich spots on them. im thinking it may have been on the live rock on these corals i got. what should i do? i've tried to catch em but with out taking apart my live rock it is impossible. So far my 2 percs, chromis, damsels, and flame angel look ok. should i wait it out or what?

BrookR1
06/26/2005, 02:19 AM
If they have a lot of spots on them, you need to remove ALL of the fish to a seperate hospital tank(s) and begin medication with formalin or copper immediately. You also need to let the display tank go fallow for 4-6 weeks....not kidding here.

If they only have a couple of spots on them, then you can closely monitor them for a day or two to see if they improve/worsen.

Here's a link
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichart2mar.htm

bennyinca
06/26/2005, 02:19 AM
Well the blue tangs are just notorious for getting ich. In my tank, small changes is all it takes to stress out the tang... BTW are the two tangs agressive to each other?

I would recommend soaking their food in garlic, and more garlic. If you try catching them, use a trap. Chasing them will stress them out

fc.pride
06/26/2005, 03:27 AM
this sux... dont know how i caught it.. i would qt the tangs but they are impossible to catch.. my lfs said it would be fine to have 2 tangs in my tank, now i know better.. they are aggressive to each other. what was strange was they werent like that in the beginning only the last 2 mths or so. their spots seem to be getting worse now. sigh..
hope to go to the swap tomorrow (if i can get off work in time) maybe i can see some of ya there if i go.

greencardgraphics
06/26/2005, 03:43 AM
get a couple cleaner shrimp.....worked for me when i had blue tangs

laverda
06/26/2005, 12:37 PM
The think about ICH is it will get better as it goes thru its phases. You will think you fish are going to be Ok but it will come back worse in a few days if you do not do something about it.
Cleaner shrimp and cleaner /neon gobies are really great. My Tanks love to be cleaned and it is fun to watch. One of the reason tanks get aggressive is over food, especially if they are not getting enough. Garlic also helps. Keeping the water temperature consistent with in a couple of degrees seams to be really important with Tanks in my experience. A 4 degree or more fluctuation will be enough to trigger an outbreak. I would get some cleaners and soak they food in Garlic extract. Good luck!
Steve

dj synystr
06/26/2005, 12:50 PM
MELAFIX! i had an ich problem and i used it and it worked GREAT! it didnt affect any of my coral, inverts, stars, cucumbers, fish everythign looked fine during treatment and is doing GREAT today. i also use it as a dip treatment for any new fish i add, which wont happen unless one dies. theres also permafix you can try that one as well.

xinumaster
06/26/2005, 01:24 PM
cleaner shrimp did a great job on my yellow, salfin and blue tang. Months later it still does. My salfin love to swim by the shrimp to for a regular cleaning.

perry

fc.pride
06/26/2005, 01:59 PM
i think im gonna try a shrimp.. will this eliminate the disease from my tank? or will i still have it?

Wilafur
06/26/2005, 05:50 PM
your tank will most likely always have ich present (albeit in various phases).

feed your tangs garlic and frozen broccoli. homeopathetic remedies have always worked wonders for me.

daphaze1
06/26/2005, 11:32 PM
once in your tank, it'd always be there .~

all i can recommend to you is some anti parasitic food.

dose garlic on all your food, dont throw in garlic in your tank. the fishes get stressed.

use marine stop i think it is, and it'd keep coming back if you have those two tangs. you either try 3 tangs or just one. and overfeed them so they dont get aggressive, so have a nice skimmer.

if you want some anti parasitic food i can help you a little. tell me if you want to pick some up. think you have my number but gl.

Wilafur
06/27/2005, 12:22 AM
btw, i think you have a lil too much fish in your tank.

fc.pride
06/27/2005, 12:34 AM
yeah, i think i have too much fish too. actually, im thinking of setting up a quarantine tank. and gonna break down my display tank. i plan to remove the live rock to catch all fish. then move them to a qt and let ich die out in my tank. also gonna try to reduce the population as soon as they get healthy. what do you guys think?

laverda
06/27/2005, 03:03 AM
Cleaner shrimp will not get ride of it but help keep it under controll.
Steve

simon.007
06/27/2005, 02:14 PM
IMO. Do Ro/DI fresh h2o dip for about 5 - 7 minutes or until the fish is show distress and is on its side. Do H2O change about 15% for the next 2 weeks every 3 days. The best preventions for ICH outbreak is H2O quality and less stress on the fishes :) If you have quarantine tank then use it. Quarantine is the best way to get rid of ICH after doing RO/DI fresh H2o dip. I use to have one Purple tang and one Regal Tang in 55G Pentegon and they use to continously have ICH. I then got a 180G and now no more ICH :)