PDA

View Full Version : Generator...

ItsMee
06/25/2005, 07:19 PM
How much can I expect to spend on a generator for my 75 gallon? Wheres a good place to buy one and what kind should I get?

theop
06/25/2005, 08:26 PM
Excuse the dumb question, but what are you trying to generate?

Weatherman
06/25/2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by theop
Excuse the dumb question, but what are you trying to generate?

Electricity... In case of a power outage.

ItsMee
06/25/2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Weatherman
Electricity... In case of a power outage.

No answers for me weatherman?

Weatherman
06/25/2005, 08:46 PM
You should be able to find portable generators at home improvements stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

I have a Coleman Powermate 3750-Watt generator. It cost a little over $400.

If you don't want to spend that much, there are little devices called "power converters". They are less expensive and rely on your car's engine to generate electricity.

Here's an example of one:

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/customkititems.asp?kc=APS30012-8AWG

ItsMee
06/25/2005, 11:40 PM
About how many watts am I going to need to run a heater and a mag 9 or mag 12 pump?

ItsMee
06/25/2005, 11:46 PM
Also...I would like something that starts up on its own if the power goes out...just in case it happens when im not at home or on vacation...any ideas?

mikenpam
06/26/2005, 12:00 AM
The size of generator you need is based on your load. Generators run best and last longer when fully loaded. There are some nice small generators from Honda, etc. but they are a bit more pricey then a generic Coleman or equivalent. A auto start would make things more expenive and you would also need an automatic transfer switch. A battery-back-up would probably be the best and you could manually use a small generator if you are in an are4a that experiences prolonged power outages. Abattery back-up should ride you system through most outages and can be sized to handle the critical loads, which would not necessarily include lighting.