PDA

View Full Version : Feeding crosshatches

orgetorix
06/25/2005, 03:47 PM
I received my pair of crosshatches yesterday and although they didn't arrive in the best of condition I'm hoping that they will be OK.

They are currently in an 8' 300 gallon with a harelquin tusk and a couple damsels. After acclimation, they just kinda hovered in the water until the tusk came to investigate. At that point, they both hid behind some rocks and the tusk ignored them.

This morning, the female was out and about, and the male was resting on the bottom near some rocks. When I approached the tank, the female hid in a cave and the male just looked at me.

I am more worried about his behavior than hers. She seems to be more active (but then agan was the better looking of the two to begin with).

Now (finally) to my question: What can I use to entice them to eat? I have tried pellets and krill and they ignored both. I know it is still early on, but for those of you with crosshatches, what is their absolute favorite food? Thanks for reading such a long post.

SPS Addiction
06/25/2005, 04:48 PM
try to feed them something alive just to get them interested. ghost shrimp or brine should work. try to keep the tusk away so they have a chance to get to it. it may take them a while to get use to you and your tank so give them time to come out. as long as they are healthy they should be ok. did you get them from a reputable place? good luck.

orgetorix
06/25/2005, 04:58 PM
I did get them from one of the sponsors here and they seem to be a very good source. I was warned they they didn't look so hot upon shipment and I just want to give them the best start possible. The tusk is a pig, but he already backed down from the female so I don't think aggression will be an issue. Thanks for you help.

UnderwaterExotic
06/25/2005, 05:54 PM
Where did you get the fish from?

nickiwit
06/25/2005, 06:56 PM
I feed mine a variety of things. They especially love PE mysis.

In my experience the females adapt better then males. Give them time to adapt. They are chickens at first. Mine acted pretty much the same way, however I did not have any problems getting them to eat.

tyoung27
06/25/2005, 11:32 PM
Buy frozen "for triggers" food, though my trigger eats that, prime reef, angel...anything you give him. Easy to hand feed and not gun-shy, hope all goes well w/ yours.

orgetorix
06/26/2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I got the triggers from atlantis aquarium. I didn't say earlier because I didn't want people to think they deal in substandard livestock. They seem to becomming around tonight and hopefully I can get them to eat something tomorrow.