PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in our area use tap water???

wildskis
06/25/2005, 08:54 AM
I need a new RO unit and was curious to know if anyone here uses tap water for water changes/topoffs. I've never had my tap water tested, so I don't know how bad it is, and don't know how much of a problem with algae it would create.

jcanute
06/25/2005, 09:08 AM
we used our tap water when we first started.we are on town water pumped from a well and treated. had bad green algee problem. i looked on the report for phosphate level but they dont test for it. untill you get your ro/di unit i would buy ro/di from lfs(cf has it for .50/gal) or wal-mart has distilled for .57/gal. good luck. joe.:rollface:

jamesonkh
06/25/2005, 09:10 AM
I use tap water, in Rochester. I was having good luck with algae, but since all the heat and with my new MH lighting, I have had a small patch of red slime algae. Not too much though. I think I can control it simply by feeding less, reducing photoperiod and directing flow at the patch (but, we'll see....). Most people swear by the RO/DI water, but I am not sure that it is a necessity at all - many people do without it.

Guy
06/25/2005, 09:31 AM
I've found that water quality changes day to day depending on the amount of rain and who's fertilizing what.

Diego
06/25/2005, 01:32 PM
I believe you just call your water dept and order a report. You are legally entitled to one once a year.

Gary Majchrzak
06/25/2005, 03:30 PM
The water report is not to be trusted. We have (relatively) good tapwater around here compared to other areas of the country, but the water quality varies from day to day- as Guy posted. Tap is fine until you get an RO unit (ASAP). Long term use of tap can create a harmful accumulation of gunk.

MattP725
06/26/2005, 10:46 PM
If you have treated water which I would imagine most do there are chemicals in it to kill bacterial and odor such as chlorine I believe and other trace chemicals. Probably not harmful short term but do you really want to risk subjecting your tank to that long term?

vitaldefect001
06/27/2005, 12:45 AM
guy these city guys dont know about us "wyoming county folk" LOL
expecialy out there in castile :)
too many damn cows!

i used tap water when i first started my tank... no more of that for me tho... having well water and the spring thaw braught all the nutrents outta the ground and into the water...

Stoller
06/27/2005, 03:38 PM
If you do use tap I would let it sit overnight with some carbon filters to eliminate any Chlorine or other trace contaminents. I don't run my RO unit all the time and if I'm short by any amount I'll use tap water. No problems yet.

downset
06/27/2005, 04:29 PM
I have always used tap I know I should switch...../shrug

wildskis
06/27/2005, 09:27 PM
Well, I finally broke down and bought a unit from Filter Direct off Ebay.....

I don't own my fish, they own me...... :(

Gary Majchrzak
06/28/2005, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by wildskis
I don't own my fish, they own me
Original quote by you? (It's great!) :lol:

wildskis
06/28/2005, 04:47 AM
lol.....yea, I guess it is an original, and I only had to spend a few hundred dollars for the inspiration!