PDA

View Full Version : What are you briging to the swap?

Thales
06/24/2005, 06:40 PM
That is or isn't rare?

:D

SanFranTodd
06/24/2005, 06:53 PM
GSP, Kenya, a few kinds of frogspwan, maybe some colt...

bluenassarius
06/24/2005, 07:09 PM
i'll try to bring a few zoos

SunfishFun
06/24/2005, 08:10 PM
So far, I plan to bring: yellow polyps, pink-rimmed tan M. capricornis, green M. cap, golden brown/yellow edge Turbinaria reniformis, whitish Caulastrea, maybe mini-carpet anemone (if, as usual, I can manage to get any off the rock in one piece), pinkish brown Capnella, blue-grey Diploastrea, mossy green Psammacora, Tubipora musica, green fuzzy-looking Pocillopora.
Anybody ever fragged a Ctenactis (spelling?) slipper? Green with pink edge; think I may frag off a piece or two.

SaltyPugs
06/25/2005, 05:24 PM
Yellow Polyps, Green Button Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Green Milli, ROAB Pink Milli (Rare), Blue Staghorn, Xenia, Tubipora Musica...

sfsuphysics
06/25/2005, 06:18 PM
won't have as much this time, since I did a really good job at clearing things out the last frag swap. But various button polyps, mostly starter ones, some others that are a little pretty though :), my mega colt coral definately will be getting a haircut (ultra rare, LE, just need to convince Jim of it), might try to frag a bubble coral unsure if I'm comfortable with that yet, might try to take a wack at a favia that I have (ultra green mouthes, but brown flesh) it is in the boulder catagory but after seeing that fragging demo hey why not :).

Think that'll be about it though, I'll see what I can frag up a week prior and maybe take some pictures.

jimsar
06/26/2005, 12:04 AM
I'm fragging a fist sized galaxea. I love the long, translucent fiber optic lightsabers (just as deadly) but this kid is outgrowing it's corner ledge. BTW, it came from a MARS swap, golfball size.

Also, I'll bring frags of a green trunk kenya tree with tight cauliflower polyps, dark brown instead of the common pinkish ones. Another difference from the common kenya, it's trunk is thicker, about 3" across. Lineage, GARF. Very rare. ;) ('cuz I haven't seen one in the swaps yet) Plus I haven't seen it drop branches yet.

A neon green encrusting gorgonian, also from GARF, is threatening to cover an overflow, so lots will be brought to the swap.

... etc.

Jim

RustySnail
06/26/2005, 02:41 AM
Green/Pink Frogspawn, Green-Tip Frogspawn, Potato-Chip Pavona, Anthelia, Kenya Tree, Blue-Grey Tree Leather, Devil's Hand, Pachyseris, Blue Acro (rare), various SPS single frags.

reef-freaky
06/27/2005, 11:37 AM
Red M. cap, brown M. cap, green stag, various zoos and green pocilliporis

capescuba
06/28/2005, 11:08 PM
The most important thing I am bringing, besides a few fragas, is some money for the Raffle :D - And Mike, no rubbing you're tickets on me this time ;)

darcitananda
06/28/2005, 11:40 PM
I don't have much for fragging these days, but will definitely bring some green with purple rim monti cap, asst. shrooms and zoos.

I "need" some xenia, so don't flush it. :)

bookfish
06/29/2005, 12:12 AM
Green nepthea, couple of LT sarcos, some acans and some chalice.-Jim

Thales
06/29/2005, 01:19 AM
Pink Chalice, Danae, candy cane, zoa's, RSBPM, Green and yellow clav, chalice chalice.

I need some xenia too for a 'xenia filter' trial, so's if anyone gots some bring it!

I am so jazzed about this swap! :D

jedininja
06/29/2005, 11:07 AM
Well I dont have as much for this frag since my old 80g cracked last year, so now i'm just on a new 24g. But other than my orange yuma thats in the rare thread, I'll be brining some pink silver rimmed zoas, green rhodactis, orange protusa, and green zoas.

bookfish
06/30/2005, 01:47 AM
They're very pretty underwater btw.-Jim

jedininja
06/30/2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by bookfish
They're very pretty underwater btw.-Jim

Yeah I dont think they would look that great on land being all sun dried and everything. :)

bookfish
06/30/2005, 12:27 PM
They're very pretty in the wild.
Surprisingly, they are intertidal.-Jim

jedininja
06/30/2005, 12:35 PM
LOL. OK, that makes much more sense.

mobert
07/03/2005, 03:54 PM
I've posted pictures in my gallery of most of the things I will be bringing to the swap. The most recent 25 pictures are for BAR. Looks like I'll be bringing well over 100 frags. Please advise how big the xenia, nepthea, devil's hand, GSP frags should be. Not pictured also will be anthelia, olive colored rhodactis, and algae for refugiums. Please do not pick a BTA unless you can care for it.

bookfish
07/03/2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Mona, I'd go for 1-1.5" frags for all those.
Thx-Jim

RustySnail
07/03/2005, 07:46 PM
Mona-

The nepthea colony looks like it has thick stalk/small branches. You should probably make medium-sized frags cutting them at the thick part of the stalk. If two smaller brances will make separate frags then split them at the base. It becomes more difficult to see/make frags once it has been cut because the colony will deflate and close. I would make the frags of nepthea/softies the morning of the trade outside of the tank; and dont return pieces of the main colony to your display tank because of the seepage of toxins that will happen after fragging. Place any leftovers into a bucket with circulation if you wish to save and then you can return them to the tank after a few hours of healing time.

The stalks of the nepthea and devils hand, etc can also become frags; just wont have any colorful polyps/tissue for a while.

JMHO/HTH...

mobert
07/04/2005, 12:14 AM
Russ--thanks for the info. I was thinking of cutting the Nepthea & Devil's hand like broccoli with a little bit of stalk on each flower. I've got a couple of BIG colonies that I plan to completely frag out. So I guess there'll be a couple of big frags with no flower where the bases are. My colonies all started from a less than 1" frag from a BARE frag swap many moons ago.

MangroveCoral
07/04/2005, 04:11 AM
I'll be bringing Orange-Laced Cloves. My show-piece rock has 100+ cloves (good mature size). I'll bring a few cloves. I hope I can trade for some rare or very colorful zoos. You guys think people will want these cloves?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/96768orangecloves__2_.jpg

jedininja
07/04/2005, 11:47 AM
Those are nice, and I've got some myself. You might wantt o Check with Jim http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=618032

to see if they are still considered rare. But you might want to use an original picture instead of using the pic from Atlantis's website.

racrumrine
07/06/2005, 12:09 PM
I'll be bringing at least 20 items so far (beginner sps, zoos, capnella, mushrooms, halimeda macroalgae, asterinas, etc). Also, Devils Hand and a nice small frag of Turbinaria reniformis. Depending on time, I might be able to bring a few more things.

I bought some 8 and 16oz clear plastic containers from the local deli that seem to be water tight. I think they will provide a better container than the Glad ones with the blue Lids. At least they are easier to see through.

Share the wealth.

Roy

Vincerama2
07/06/2005, 07:02 PM
Well, this frag swap will really be a good place for me to dump, er, I mean "share" some colt. As we know, a GREAT beginner coral. In fact, it lived in my sump (lit with a 15W flourescent!) for 6 months. And now is the size of my head.

Also have some brown birdsnest thingy.

Maybe some aiptasia.

V

Jeff Littlefield
07/07/2005, 09:10 AM
I am going to bring monti caps, pink polyp, LS, green w/blue polyps, tan w/ blue polyps, Jeff

sfsuphysics
07/08/2005, 12:36 PM
Ok here's an update to what I'm bringing, since I don't really have anything thats spectacular, maybe a few "oh nice" but definately no "WHOA! I want a frag of that" stuff. I've decided to head in a new direction for what/how I'm bringing stuff. I'm only bringing 5 containers of stuff (sorry folks, think I got a large nutrient problem that is keeping things rather stagnant for growth.. even xenia hasn't grown much!). All of my stuff is "beginner" stuff. I am fiddling with the idea of printing out these pictures to put on the containers too to aid in picking.. I'll have to see how that pan's out though.

Container 1 holds Fred Jr. A clone of fred, which is a nice large leather toadstool I got from Cindy ironically 1 year ago at the frag swap when I joined BAR. I've made a few cuttings frags of fred over the year, and mounting is a snap with a rubberband (because the rubberband holds it tight enough that I end up with two separate heads that grow from each frag). I only plan on bringing one of these, but if anyone wants a frag of this (I have two more) feel free to pipe up and I'll bring you a frag of it, very nice beginner coral with pretty reddish polyps. (and a little cyano around the base I'll clean off before bringing ;).
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4991/fredjr5xu.jpg

Container 2 holds a frag of a torch coral that I chopped up, this particular frag has two heads on it, so you actually will get twice the fun! You can even see it's little mouth/butthole :)
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4200/torch8nn.jpg

Container 3-5 will be a little change, instead of having *A* particular color of zoanthid/button polyp I'm going to deviate from that norm and make up a little "starter pack" which has at this point 4 different kinds. Ones that while yes might be a bit common do grow nicely under lower lighting conditions, and will fairly easily propagate themselves, but rather than making someone who's new "waste" a pick on "junk" (i know one man's garbage is another man's treasure) I want to give a nice little starter pack of stuff, I wanted to do this with mushrooms too, but most are attached to rock that is quite large and didn't plan ahead enough to razor blade some off. I was tempted to also toss in a green protopalythoa hunk, but they don't look terribly nice since they've recently been blasted to hell by my new 10k MH bulbs (they loved it under the 14k Hams) and I'd worry a little too much about them sliming up I think I'll try to propagate them back to their former glory and save for the next swap.

Now this is an image of what one container will look like, this many heads, these color morphs, some might have more heads of one, and fewer of another, most will be mounted to rocks, those that aren't I'll try to rubberband them to a piece of rock (so it'll take a couple weeks for them to cling) but this is what one typical "starter zoanthid pack" will look like
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/483/starterzoo9jq.jpg
Here's a run down on the button polyps, starting at the upper left corner and going clockwise.

Zoo1: Started as brownish with green mouth as can be seen on the ones to the far left of the rock they're on, but I put them in a lowflow and lower light area (shadowed by some rock structure so they mostly got actinic lighting) and the strangest thing happened they got a little lavander ring around them, of course that ring could have been there I just didn't notice it, but actinic lighting is not needed to see that ring. You can see on some of them (younger ones) the ring is not yet pronounced, unsure if this is natural or some viral thing (similar to how they get various colors of tulips).

Zoo2: More "mostly brown" stuff that has greenish/yellow mouths, and again what looks like "powdered mustard" around the skirts. This one was smooshed against the glass in my tank (for some reason it didn't attach to it) and I left it there because I could see all the micro brittle stars living behind/under it.

Zoo3: Theres are orange skirt, greyish/purple mouth zoos I got from the first BAR frag swap, and this is the last of the rock they came on, that's not to say that's the last of these zoanthids, because I put that rock next to a piece of baserock and they grew over onto that, then I ripped that off and put the rock elsewhere, they grew on to that as well, then ripped it off again and moved it and yup they grew to the new rock as well.. so I have 3 seperate colonies of this that is each is atleast 2x the size of the original one. They are nice fast growers. Now how orange they look will depend greatly upon the lighting you have, more bluer spectrum (actinic) and they'll look super orange, if you have a more yellower spectrum (and dominating, like 10k MH) they will tend to look a tad more brown. I just made these frags yesterday so that's why some heads are closed up.

Zoo4: These are what i've see others call RPE (Red People Eaters), now much like the prior one, how red they look depends greatly upon how blue your lighting is, when I had these under 14k bulbs the skirts looked quite red/orange, when I switched to 10k bulbs, they look brown. This picture here is about a 2:1 Daylight:Actinic ratio, given the room they will spread out nicely though and are quite hardy (ie no melting like PPEs do.. although they are purple).

Ok that has to be the longest fricking explaination for some of the most common stuff there is out there. And I apologize if I bored anyone with it, but I'm kind of bored now myself .. maybe it's pre-frag day jitters :)

Mekong
07/08/2005, 08:14 PM
I have 4 diffrent zoos for the swap,
oj skirt w/ baby blue mouth
green skirt w/ orange mouth
Redish borwn skirt with peach mouth
And a redish brown with sky blue center

Also will be alot of kenya,
at least one if not more snot balls of pulsing "pom pom" red sea xenia
Possibly some yellow toadstool as well.

I have some kenya like jimsar described, I might bring a 2" frag of that. It doesnt grow as fast as the pink kenya.

mobert
07/09/2005, 11:19 PM
This is the BTA I brought to the swap. This picture was taken a couple of days ago when it was releasing sperm. He's a big boy:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3913male.jpg

Here's the girlfriend he left behind:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3913female.jpg

Any comments here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=627315