PDA

View Full Version : Top off system

fisherob
06/23/2005, 09:30 AM
Can someone tell me how to build a top off system. I have a wet/dry filter and sometimes when the water gets low in the tank the return starts blowing bubles into my tank and really ****es of my LTA. Is there a wa I can automate the top off process? I am a begginner to this so please explain in details. Thanks for your help in advance.

adnup
06/23/2005, 09:38 AM
I made mine from directions here. It works great :thumbsup: !

http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

adnup
06/23/2005, 09:48 AM
Oh yeah and I got my pump here. I went the cheapest route BUT it workshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20507&item=4363902819

rick s
06/23/2005, 10:06 AM
If your situation would allow it, this works great for me. I use gravity and one simple float:

My tank is in the living room. My R0/DI set-up is in the garage. I mounted a storage tank (10 gallon) in my garage as high on the wall as possible (almost to the ceiling). This height is higher than the height that my sump is at.

I ran a simple 1/4" line (50 feet worth) from the bottom of the storage tank in the garage to a basic, manual Kent float valve in my sump. Gravity does the rest.

Once a week, I run my RO/DI unit until it fills the storage tank with fresh water. Then I turn the RO/DI off.

As water evaporates, the water level in the sump drops, the float opens, and fills until the water level in the sump rises enough to satisfy the float.

It works flawlessly. It's cheap. No electronics to fail.

And, as a back-up plan (just in case the float should fail), I don't store any more water in the storage tank than my sump could hold.

mbunakeith
06/23/2005, 10:53 AM
something to add...i have a very similar setup and when mounting the float switch, cut a hole (for the float switch)in a small (3x3") piece of plexiglass, acrylic, whatever, glue the piece into a corner of the sump and mount the switch vertically. this way the metal part of the switch stays out f the water, it is easier to access and you dont have to do any tank drilling. i had to bend the float to get the level where i want it and it works great. i fill my 5 gallon jug weekly and have no problems. the most expensive part was the valve. i think i paid $15 at the lfs. the 1/4" line was pretty cheap at home depot and the bulkhead fitting for the jug was a couple bucks.