PDA

View Full Version : Quiet One Pump?

anjhof
06/22/2005, 03:18 PM
Does anyone have experience with the "Quiet One 3000 Pump." I am trying to decide between this one and a Mag 7. I have a 75G tank and I would like to split the return using a SCWD. Please let me know which one you would suggest.

Thanks,
Jeff

anjhof
06/23/2005, 01:18 PM
Any help?

tunaluver
06/23/2005, 01:21 PM
i had a quiet one 4000 and it was junk right off the bat. i dont know if it was bad from the factory but i switched to a blueline 40 and i like that alot better.

AQUAN8TOR
06/23/2005, 01:38 PM
If you're looking to use the scwd, get an external pressure rated pump. The blueline 40, or panworld 40, depending on who you buy it from, is a great pump. I personally have a couple scwds, one running with a mag 9.5, and the other running with the old style, brown & white external quiet one pump---VERY OLD. Never missed a beat, though. The newer ones are junk. I can speak very highly of the gen-x mak-4 pumps, as well. Very good value in a high-output pressure rated pump.
If you're gung-ho about a submersible pump, get a mag 9.5. The SCWD units generate a lot of backpressure to the pump, which greatly decreases the flow. Remember, you can always put a ball valve on the output and turn the pump down, but you can't supercharge the pump once it's installed. The price difference is negligible when you consider the potential loss in flow.

PrangeWay
06/23/2005, 01:47 PM
I use this on my closed loop with scwd. It works tolerably, I bought it mostly for it's cheap price. It does have problems starting up when I use the feed button. It isn't quiet, but it isn't loud, quieter than my skimmer.

When I have extra cash in the fall I'll replace it with a Gorman Rupp pump from marinedepot. They are alot more expensive, but I've spec'd and seen this comapnies pumps in use at a chemical plant we do some design work for and figure they'll last forever, and start up everytime.

PW

anjhof
06/23/2005, 03:28 PM
Keep in mind I replacing my cap 2200 which died on me after a power outage. I think the QO 3000 can put out almost twice the flow as my old pump. It should still be plenty for a 75G tank with a Seio 600GPH Power head in the tank, even with the flow loss from the SCWD. Am I thinking correctly?

antoniomoreno
06/23/2005, 03:59 PM
I use a quiet one 6000 pump on my aerofoamer and its so
quiet I cant even tell its on. I love it.

jkapit
06/24/2005, 06:30 AM
I have had a quiet one 3000 pump for about a year. I use it to power three in sump filter cartridges from Life Reef. It is quiet and pumps well. The only issue I have had with it is that it does not always re-start when I power it off. Most of the it restarts fine, but maybe once a month I have to take the cover off and flip the propeller and then plug it back in.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of AC powered pumps, but overall I am satisfied with it.

chrisreef
06/24/2005, 07:21 AM
I have a QO4000 and it is doing the same not restarting after i shut off the power beside that i a great pump i also have 2 of them running my 150g chilids tank

killereef
06/24/2005, 07:51 AM
I have a quiet one 4000HH and it is a piece of crap. It loud and my temp of my tank raised from 79 to 84 degree. I switch to Iwaki pump, a lot better of a pump.