PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else been to Exotic Tropicals in NW Ark?

GSerg2
06/21/2005, 09:27 AM
I was in Springdale on Saturday to visit family so I ran up to Rogers to see this place my brother was always talking about. Wow! This guy has some nice place.

The shop is extremely clean. All the tanks were spotless, the floor (which was tile) was spotless too. His tanks were amazingly clean for a fish store. Not even a smudge on the glass. He has a 750 gallon tank that is a jaw-dropper. He had a another one that was probably about 100 gallon that had the largest bubble coral I have ever seen.

He had sps, lps, anemones, clams... you name it he had it. It was a fairly compact store but he had every inch filled. I was impressed that he qt's his new arrivals. He had a couple of tanks that were marked 'Not Ready' on the outside of the glass.

That is the other thing, he had the parameters for his tanks written on the tanks front glass. For instance on his larger tanks, he had the date, calcium, ph, alk... written on the front glass for like the last six months or so. He also had when the bulbs were last changed and stuff like that.

I was really impressed, as you can probably tell. James, the owner, was really nice and very well informed. I was talking to him about my tank and how I needed to get more flow. He made a few suggestions and I said something about a Tunze or Seio. So he pulled a Tunze and a Seio off the shelf. Yes, he had several of both on the shelf!

Then he show me how they worked and took them out of the box and put them in a 90 gallon tank and ran them for me. It was nice to see them work. He made me a deal on the Tunze, about $25 dollars cheaper than the lowest price I have seen on the web, so I bought it.

It was worth going for sure. If anyone else is over that way, I would recommend stopping in for a visit.

:(
Unfortunately, the Tunze impeller ended up cracking when I got it home and ran it. It was no fault of the stores I am sure since he had no way of knowing it was going to fail. it ran fine for him and me (at least for a few minutes).

I contacted Tunze and they said that sometimes if the impeller magnet gets too hot during manufacturing that they can develop stress cracks and fail when run. Anyway they are sending one to me. No bid deal except that I will have to wait a few days for my new impeller to show up and meanwhile I have to stare at it, motionless in my tank.

keckles
06/21/2005, 10:36 AM
I spent 3-4 hours just looking when I went there. James' shop is AMAZING and he is very helpful. If you think what he had on the shelf was amazing, you should see what he has in his "warehouse" a few shops away. I picked up about $500 worth of coral, and because of all the discounts he gave me ending up only spending around $300. I definitely want to go back someday.

TheMcs
06/21/2005, 11:00 AM
I was in central Arkansas this weekend. After doing what we had planned on Sat the family was wondering where to go to next. I voted for Rogers, everyone else voted for Hot Springs. What a waste. We were excited to see a public aquarium. Paid $5 to get in. It could have passed for a poorly run pet store. More turtles than anything else. 3 SW tanks with shrooms & button polyps, a few tangs and clowns, and the largest collection of hair algea I have ever seen. If they top off with the hot springs water, all the claims of purity are shot.

keckles
06/21/2005, 11:04 AM
Anyone else wanting to see hair algae please paypal me $5 and I will e-mail you the directions to my tank...

GSerg2
06/21/2005, 11:09 AM
>> Anyone else wanting to see hair algae please paypal me $5 and
>> I will e-mail you the directions to my tank...

Lol

He did take me down a few doors to another shop that had was full of tanks. Is that the one or is there another? He had about a dozen reef-ready tanks in there. The had a huge corner tank that was really nice looking.

keckles
06/21/2005, 11:33 AM
That's the one. When I was there he had 100 boxes of skimmers, cacium reactors, controllers, etc. He also had any size starfire tank you could ever want, including one that was I think 12ft. long.

shellocello
07/19/2005, 02:17 PM
I just moved to Arkansas bentonville actually 2 months ago. I lived in tulsa and had to move my reef tank. My friend Greg from Under the Sea referred me to James shop I called and they did everything they could to help me out. Of course I owe most thanks to scott and Jena at Oddballs, he housed my corals and fish at his shop for over a week. Thanks guys you are great.

Travis L. Stevens
07/19/2005, 03:32 PM
For some reason something jumped in my head. You didn't happen to work at Paws did you?

shellocello
07/19/2005, 04:17 PM
Yes I did. The store in Rogers is awesome. That 700 gallon tank is so clean.

oddballs
07/20/2005, 07:36 PM
cousin day day keeps em real clean to!!sorry!!hi michelle nice to see you around!man i love these!!!!!things!!!

shellocello
07/20/2005, 08:22 PM
Hello hello what do you love exactly. hey that lord howensis is doing good and getting bigger

shellocello
07/29/2005, 08:47 AM
Hey Scott I got some interesting news from one of the girls at Paws. I guess the fire department had to come to the store the other night because the display tank caught fire. The fire dept. had to break the lock on the back door because a lot of thick smoke was coming out. It took them awhile to find the fire. Jen actually had to meet them there at 5am. Karma is such a funny thing. On the brightside they didn't ever put anything in it again after I took it down so i don't think anything died. My friend told me there was a dogface in there the other day and it is probably the same one that was there when I left. Someone go save it.