PDA

View Full Version : PVC Plumbing from bulkhead

Avian
06/20/2005, 09:36 PM
I have a question...

I have an acyrlic overflow on my 55gallon tank. The bulkhead that the overflow feeds is 1 1/2 inch. Can I split the PVC pipe that comes from the bulkhead into a 1 inch and 1/2 inch pipe that will...

the 1/2 inch will feed a 10 gallon tank that will be a refugium. There is a bulkhead on the top side of the 10 gallon tank that is 3/4 inch. This bulkhead will gravity feed into a 10 gallon sump...

The 1 inch pipe will go directly to the 10 gallon sump which will contain the protein skimmer and heater. The sump will only be filled to about 4-5 gallons to compensate for the water if the mag7 return pump fails.

BTW the mag7 will be returning about 480 gph to tank after head loss is calculated. Thanks for any imput.

RicksReefs
06/20/2005, 09:56 PM
you should be fine running the mag7 and splitting it like you describe. just keep in mind that 1" pipe + 1/2" pipe doesn't
equal the size of a 1 1/2" pipe. why not make the fuge pipe
3/4" to match the bulkhead? better to have extra than to little. :)

Avian
06/20/2005, 10:49 PM
Hey Rick!

Long time no see...Thanks for the imput. Yeah, that would make sense by making the pipe going into the fige the same size as the bulkhead that is exporting the water. Any other suggestions? I owe a portion of this project to you for drilling my 55g. :)

BTW are you going to go to the frag swap?

RicksReefs
06/21/2005, 12:04 AM
whoops! i guess i didn't read that right the first time, i thought
you were putting the 1/2" into the 3/4" BH. my bad. since it's all
gravity flow the 1/2" should be cool for the inflow and the 3/4"
for the outflow to the sump.
one thing is to be sure to always have the overflow in any tank
screened off. nothing worse than having a 5/8" snail stuck in the
opening to that 1/2" pipe and flooding the place.
you might want to put ball valves on each outfall pipe too so you
can regulate the flow to each tank.
just a couple of random thoughts. :)

i don't think i'll be making this frag swap.