PDA

View Full Version : Should I run my Protein Skimmer during the cycle?

lessans
06/20/2005, 08:02 PM
Since I'll have uncured lr in the tank and ls it'll have a lot of die off, but I think that if I ran the skimmer during the cycle that it would remove all the die off that's helping the tank to cycle. Should I use it during the cycle?

TChristman
06/20/2005, 08:24 PM
I ran my skimmer throughout the cycling process and had no problems at all......Took about 4 weeks to completely cycle.

Drewpy
06/20/2005, 08:33 PM
Some say yes some say no... Skimming may remove small oranisms before they have chance to populate the tank...

not skimming may increase cycling time...

Depends on what you want to do...

kevinlo
06/20/2005, 09:23 PM
Skimming definitely won't effect your cycle. Skimmers are not that efficient. Though some would make you believe that the pricey European skimmers like H&S and Deltec are :)

tripstank
06/20/2005, 11:23 PM
I ran mine, and I have an AMPLE copepod population.

mikebon111
06/20/2005, 11:57 PM
Run It. Break it in. I think it speeds up the cycling process slightly, removing organics before they decompose. I also ramp up the heat to 88 just to speed up the process. If you can use carbon I recommend using it to cut back on the funky smell.Another tip, get two good coarse scrub brushes and scrub off as much decay as possible.I have used wire brushes to get rid of a few stubborn sponges. Depending on the rock, you get nasty dead sponges,muscles,macros. The more you can get rid of the better IMO some people like to just throw it in a tank to cure. They say you will get more bio diversity that way but it definitely prolongs the process along with higher spikes in NH4,NO2,NO3 which ,once again IMO,would probably kill off many organisms anyway. I hope some of that might be useful to you.

artilespm
06/21/2005, 12:06 AM
Four months ago I cycled 20 lbs of branch rock with no protein skimmer but with alot of carbon. Three weeks later, it went into my stocked tank. No problem. Just make sure there is alot of circulation during the cycling process and water changes are definitely needed. The smell will let you know.

lessans
06/21/2005, 08:24 AM
I'm trying to make this as easy as possible, so wouldn't I want to just run the skimmer while cycling. Shouldn't the smell go away after awhile without having to do a water change. I'll be gone on a trip while my tank is cycling, but my parents will be home, they'll be monitoring my tank while I'm gone. Can you guys just sum up steps I should do on a daily and weekly basis so that it doesn't screw up and I know what you're gonna say, "Why can't you tell them you should have learned enough to tell them." Well, I'm the kinda person that has a hard time remembering things in steps especially things that require special attention like a reef tank. So please guys be kind and give me a summary. Very greatly appreciated.

Tomzpc
06/21/2005, 11:25 AM
I think you'd be crazy not to run it.