PDA

View Full Version : Engineer Input needed!

ReeferMonkey
06/20/2005, 07:28 PM
I know some folks on here are arch/structural engineers, so let me put my dilemma here to see if I can get some help. For background, I'm a landscape architect, so I'm used to working with consultants in various capacities.

Since I'm planning a large aquarium and I'm on the third floor of a concrete building, I wanted to check with Merriman Architects, who designed Live Oak Lofts, to see what they said about it all. The tank I'm planning is 48L x 30W x 18H, approximately 100g with a 40g size sump (never fit that much water in it), so I ballparked:

100g + 40g + 5% error = ~150g
150g x 10#/g = 1500#
I wanted to highball the weight, just for CYA.

Now, 48L x 30W = 4' x 2.5' so we have 10SF.

1500# / 10SF = 150 PSF

Well, the architect at Merriman called his structural guy, who said 150 PSF is way overboard. According to his structural guy, I should be shooting closer to 40 PSF. Here's the kicker, to do the calculations he wanted $500.

Now, I work in a consulting office, so I understand I'm not a paying client and to spend time really doing the work they want to get paid. I'm not opposed to that train of thought. However:

1. I feel I got lowballed on the PSF to make me go through with the calcs
2. I feel I got highballed on the rate - come on, $500? How much work are we really talking about here? My principal, with 25 years of LA experience, bills out at $150. Wouldn't this just be some computer work? I scoffed a bit at this. Either that or they jsut wanted to get rid of me.

Can anyone give me any input here? I'm thinking that 40 PSF is ridiculously low. When we spec concrete, on a 4" sidewalk we spec a 3200 PSI compression strength. While I realize this is a little different, and I don't know the thickness of the floor or how it's reinforced, 40 PSF seems highly inappropriate. I weight 180# and don't cause the floor to buckle when I jump up or dance like a madman.

I'm thinking of getting the specs on the floor and seeing if I can't run it past either some guys we consult with or maybe some friends of mine. Any advice? Am this guy crazy? Am i??

Acroholic
06/20/2005, 09:20 PM
wow, its been 20 years since I graduated college and I finally get to put my education to use...:lol:

Since 40 PSF is a ridiculously low figure, and if that were the case you should get the heck outta that place....run Forrest, RUN...FAST!
I can see what he did with his calculations....
He took the total sq. ft. of the floor, and used maximun load to divide by said sq. ft. to come to a figure of 40PSF. Which really means that if the entire floor was covered with 40 lbs. on every single square foot of that floor, that would be the load limit....
which still IMO is a lowball figure for a concrete structure....unless there is an insurance restriction to load limit?

Acroholic
06/20/2005, 09:24 PM
OH..and I forgot ....just sent my $500.00 consulting fee to my paypall account.....:lol:

ReeferMonkey
06/20/2005, 10:12 PM
CapeCoral,

Your rationale is pretty sound, I think (although I know very little about structural engineering). However, I'm a bit worried now about trying to put at least 1250# of aquarium on a 3rd floor loft - although I suspect it would be ok.

Can anyone else weigh in?
(pun intended)