PDA

View Full Version : help me select lighting!

jordbarnet
06/20/2005, 01:49 PM
I'm hoping to get some suggestions regarding my
90 gallon bowfront reef tank

I would like to upgrade my lighting - currently I have 4 96 watt power compact strips I mounted inside the canopy. It was what I was able to do based on budget constrants at the time.

I would like to buy a new hood which will provide the best flexibility to grow in this hobby beyond simple mushrooms and polyps.

What are people using on their bowfronts? Any suggestions as to brand/bulbs/type of lighting (I assume MH)

Thanks
Jordan

dwdenny
06/20/2005, 02:01 PM
well there is alway T5 I would look into it would more then likely fit in your exisiting canopy as well. there are people growing SPS under them as well and they are cooler then VHO and PC as well as MH. Find the thread that says caution T5 or something like that. If you want to go with MH I would look at a dual 250w I am sure there is a brace in the center(this way there will not be any shadow). HTH

alphaferret
06/20/2005, 02:33 PM
i run 4 x 95 watt 36 inch vho on a 660 icecap
w/2 x 14 watt t5 actinics to provide dawn dusk control
in a diy "canahood"ddiy reflector- even though the vho have them built in
if i had a chiller and the money for elect bills i would go mh x2
you def. do not want a shadow from the brace
but you will prob want some actinic sublemented to give the dawn dusk action( some may disagree w/this)
alos mh bulbs are expensive
so there ya go if ya got $ go mh-no limits to corals
want ot keep it cool t5 or vho are fairly cool too-keep most all corals but the most light loving(some will disagree w/ this)
but thats about it there are threads that go on for pages-check your lfs if you have a fav. that you trust see what they keep an drun

alphaferret
06/20/2005, 02:34 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52815George_s_40th__034.jpg

alphaferret
06/20/2005, 02:35 PM
last pix w/ one vho bulb out-notice there are 2 super act. and 2act + the t5's