PDA

View Full Version : Need help with skimmer

mailoo
06/20/2005, 10:58 AM
Ok so i got my skimmer working, attached to a powerhead and has a air pump connnection.

and the water is coming up through the middle section... but it is not frothing.

Do i need more air?

Mailoo

mailoo
06/20/2005, 12:55 PM
bump for my skimmer problem

Mailoo

Avi
06/20/2005, 01:48 PM
Don't be concerned yet. It takes time for a skimmer to start skimming and each type and brand of skimmer will take a period of time that would be different from others. It could take as much as a week.

rufio173
06/20/2005, 02:31 PM
This might be a silly question, but do you have any salt in the water?

Sometimes, people will try their skimmers out in freshwater and you won't get anything working like that.

Also, how long has the tank been setup and what do you have in the tank. What brand or type of skimmer is it?

Peace,
John H.

mailoo
06/20/2005, 03:44 PM
have salt.
new tank... about 4 days old.

have 50/50 sand crushed coral mix (not live) and live rock

Mailoo

rufio173
06/20/2005, 05:05 PM
what type of skimmer is it? Did you make it yourself or is it manufactured?

Details will always help! :) Also, your tank is fairly young and it may take awhile for your skimmer to break in and then actually start pulling out organics from a tank that young.

Thanks,
John H.

mailoo
06/21/2005, 01:23 AM
the skimmer was bought... but it is a no name one as i am located in Thailand i can not just run out and grab a nice big brand well known one :(

sounds like i have jumped the gun a bit, will leave it run for a week and see how it goes.

Loo

Avi
06/21/2005, 06:22 AM
mailoo..it should be fine...it does take a little while for them to start actually skimming. So long as there are bubbles, and they should be fairly abundant, in the column, then they should start foaming up...just be patient, and let us know when it starts to foam. Don't forget, in addition to it being a new skimmer which takes a while under any circumstances to start foaming, it's a newly set up tank with very little by way of organics for the skimmer to remove. Put some cleanup critters in there.