PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Tubastrea

Reefing4Fun
06/20/2005, 09:45 AM
I bought an orange Tubastrea a couple of 3-4 days ago and I have yet to see its polyp fully extended out. I have noticed that it has opened and can see the mount from the inside and have noticed that some have slowly stuck some of it's polyp out but not all the way. I have tried to entice it with some frozen brine shrimp at night. I haven’t even seen it during the day, at least during the days home from work.

How long does it normally take for the polyp for fully extend out?

sulp
06/20/2005, 09:55 AM
Is it in a shaded area with lower flow? Mine started out in the bottom of the tank in an open area. It didn't come out at all. Even at night while being entised with mysis it still stayed closed up. The following day I placed him under an overhang and within 15 mins. he was fully extended. Now every evening around the same time he extends waiting for a shot of food. He seems very happy in his new home.

clavery
06/20/2005, 09:58 AM
Ditto here - low light and low flow are key. It might take up to a week for it to fully extend it's polyps. I usually put a small bit of food in the tank first, and let it sit for a few minutes until the corals "taste" the food, then they usually extend their polyps and I target feed.

Good luck,

Cheryl

Reefing4Fun
06/20/2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by sulp
Is it in a shaded area with lower flow? Mine started out in the bottom of the tank in an open area. It didn't come out at all. Even at night while being entised with mysis it still stayed closed up. The following day I placed him under an overhang and within 15 mins. he was fully extended. Now every evening around the same time he extends waiting for a shot of food. He seems very happy in his new home.

Is he in the shade - YES. With lower flow - Medium flow. Should I move him with higher flow?

Do you have your's on a shade, of course I've just read it, with how strong or how low of a current?

I've read that it needed to be on a shade with Med to strong water flow.

sulp
06/20/2005, 10:18 AM
Mine seems to enjoy lower flow. Heres a pic of where his current home is. It's hard to tell but the LR over hangs the coral kepping it pretty well shaded.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/sewbeit/suncoral2-6-12-05.jpg

Reefing4Fun
06/20/2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by sulp
Mine seems to enjoy lower flow. Heres a pic of where his current home is. It's hard to tell but the LR over hangs the coral kepping it pretty well shaded.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/sewbeit/suncoral2-6-12-05.jpg

Mine is situated pretty much the same way... ? It's on a shade with mid, closer to low, water flow. It seems to come out partially.

What gives?

I'll move him to a different area during the water change tonight. I'll move him some where that theirs more flow I guess.

Wish me luck :strooper:

sulp
06/20/2005, 11:19 AM
I'm sure he'll be fine. Try another location like you said. I'm not sure about higher flow though....but you can try. Higer flow may cause it not to open as well. I'm sure you'll find a happy home for it. Just remember that you will have to feed it often so try to find a place that will make it easier for you to get to it. Good Luck!

Reefing4Fun
06/21/2005, 09:41 AM
:thumbsup:

Moved it last night, during the water change, and right away the polyped started coming out. I guess the 4*39w T5's were a little bright for it, even though it was already in a lightly shaded part. After re-arranging of my corals and placed him in a more shaded part of the tank and more current - it's finaly happy.

Thanks sulp.

Now, for anyone, can I slowly move the sun coral to a less shaded part - can I get this LPS out more in the open?