PDA

View Full Version : Are there any rules for using MH over an acrylic tank?

Ananick
06/19/2005, 09:25 PM
I've got a 24"h x 24"w x 13"d acrylic tank coming this week and I'm going to get it up and running pretty soon. It is a Sea Clear 30g high rectangle. I would like to run a 175w SE bulb over the tank. I don't have the tank yet so I don't know if there is a center brace on the top of the tank or not or just one main cut-out. I had a 36"w acrylic tank before and it did have the brace on the top, but I don't know if the new will have a brace or not since it is only 24"w. My main concern is the possibility of overheating the top of the acrylic. I read on another website that it is recommended to only put MH bulbs above the cutouts in acrylic tanks so that you don't overheat the acrylic and crack it over time. I was only planning on one 175w SE bulb over the center of the tank. The other thing is that I was planning on putting the light into a DIY hood and the light would then be approximately 8-9" above the top of the acrylic. The hood would also have one 4" (120mm) fan on each side of the hood pushing air through the hood.

Can anybody tell me if my gameplan is nothing to worry about? :confused:

chadfarmer
06/19/2005, 09:46 PM
one thing to worry about (dont melt the plastic with the bulb)

Ananick
06/19/2005, 10:08 PM
Would VHO be a potential better option?