I have disassembled it (as much as one can), and have found the nozzle
to be free of any obstructions. I have upgraded the pump from the Maxipump
1200 that it came with to increase the bubble output, but to no avail. The
pump is so strong (I'm sorry, it was a spare, and I'm not sure what the
exact GPH is) that I'm seeing bubbles make it nearly to the bottom of the
unit.

Questions:

1) How important is the seal around the cup? Does this need to be as
tight as possible, or is this simply a way to change the cup height?

2) What is the significance of the verticle angle of the unit? If it's
not perfectly plumb, will it experience the behavior I'm seeing?

Blue Baron
06/19/2005, 11:40 PM
Seriously, is there some sort of protocol I've completely overlooked in my postings at this site that explains the deafening sound of crickets everytime I post?

masson
06/19/2005, 11:44 PM
That what happens to them , well at least for mine. I got a real skimmer , an asm g2. There are a few threads about this. some might say you need to give it a cleaning and what not. Cleaning never worked for me at all. I think its just a pos , but thats jmo. What size tank do you have? Do you have a sump?

And do you mean maxijet? Cause that the recommended pump for it. If you wanted to invest in the skimmer there are some mods you can do. Upgrade pumps and change the input size. There is a thread about it . Do a search for remora mods.

dngonzales
06/20/2005, 12:02 AM
i have the same skimmer and was experiencing the same results i have the MJ 1200 and preskimmer box and i got a half inch of skimmate since i set it up 2 and a half weeks ago i noticed that mine wasnt totaly level but not that much to cause me any real concern i dont have a large bioload so im thinking that is why i only have 2 cleaner shrimp a green mandarin and a half black angel and 70 lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon i feed every other day so maybe the tank is relativly clean i just cleaned the cleaner cup today as the instructions stated so maybe that will help i was expecting more also i havent tried cleaning in the chamber with the wire brush figuring it didnt need it being so new

Blue Baron
06/20/2005, 12:11 AM
So, I have a 55 gal tank that has a fairly healthy bioload:

1 yellow tail damsel
1 Eibli angel
2 clown fish
2 banded coral shrimp
2 blue cromis
1 fuzzy dwarf lion
assorted cleaner crew

For the actual coral load, I suggest looking at the pics of the tank on the site listed below. Too many to name and/or try and remember. ;)

For filtration (aside from the non-working skimmer), we have a Fluval 304 and a Fluval 404, both with carbon and other assorted media. Water changes happen (usually) once a week.

Just found out today that our salinity is a tad high (1.026). That's been resolved at this point.

Everywhere I've read, people are thrilled with this skimmer . . . or is that simple shilling?

dngonzales
06/20/2005, 12:28 AM
nice pics may i ask how many watts and what type of lighting are you using as i am going to be making the lighting plunge very soon apologies for getting off topic as i to am interested in hearing what others have to say on this topic either pm me or post. i was expecting major results when i purchased this skimmer but have began to wonder maybe ill try it without the preskimmer ive got my collection cup all the way down so i should be getting more watery skimmate but its skimming little

orangekush4
06/20/2005, 12:40 AM
What is every body doing wrong with the remoras man, i have a urchin pro and a remora. The remora is on my frag tank and it pulls out alot of funk, same with the urchin.I grow alot of sps and my water is very crisp.I have had both for 3 years.They pull alot of funk for ther size.

orangekush4
06/20/2005, 12:45 AM
I forgot you have to have the water level high on the pump on the remora, the problem is if you use the box some times you get water evap and the level of the water in the box gets low the thats the only thing i dont like about the remora is the pre skimme box.They need to do some thing about that.

dngonzales
06/20/2005, 12:58 AM
i try to keep my water level proportionate to the intake of the box only once hav i noticed it starting to get low that dang box is soooo hard to get set up i have it level from left to right but i notice its not from front to back the bottom of the box pushes away from the tank wall looking like this / well maybe not that bad but it is noticeable wondering if some of the return is spilling out the back and not out the bottom like it should are you suggesting i do away with the whole box do you think i will get better results on retreving more skimmate?

Jolio99
06/20/2005, 06:37 PM
Dngonzales, your posts need periods.

dngonzales
06/20/2005, 08:35 PM
yeah im taking english next semester :(

Blue Baron
06/20/2005, 09:06 PM
Hey Jolio . . . . how's your Spanish? ;)

dead beat reef
06/23/2005, 12:55 PM
Its the motion of the ocean not the size of the wave.
Do not install a pump that is too large. Contact time
between water and air is a must. If water flows through
the skimmer to fast = no gunk in the cup. Cut back flow
move cup to lowest setting than raise 1/8th inch to start.
Move up 1/8th each time till you have the color of skim
you are looking for.

swashbuckler
06/23/2005, 01:18 PM
remember you will get higher foam production at a higher salinity as well. 1.026 is very ideal for good foam.

i have my cup fairly low and i have noticed that the water level plays a role. when my tnaks water level is higher, iv enoticed much more foam than when it was lower. also consider having water move towards the skimmer's pump, this way it get more organics to the pump quicker.

SanFranTodd
06/23/2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Blue Baron

Questions:

1) How important is the seal around the cup? Does this need to be as
tight as possible, or is this simply a way to change the cup height?

2) What is the significance of the verticle angle of the unit? If it's
not perfectly plumb, will it experience the behavior I'm seeing?

1) The giant black rubber band thing does nothing but adjust the height of the collection cup - the lower you go the "wetter" the skimmate will be

(You're not going to get any good results from this skimmer unless you're running at least a Mag 5 on it)

2) I assume you're talking about leveling the skimmer? The foam will travel to the collection cup best if the unit is 100% vertical...

dngonzales
06/23/2005, 09:09 PM
After a couple of every third day cleanings of the cup, and raising the salinity as well.
Mine is starting to perform better it filled 1/4 of the cup watery ill admit, but makin progress :dance:

masson
06/23/2005, 09:12 PM
The problem is not with the pros or i havent heard of that problem its only with the regular.

orangekush4
06/24/2005, 12:33 AM
I have a regaler on my frag tank and it only has a 1200, it pulls alot of thick stuff and i have no fish in it.I dont use the overflo box.