PDA

View Full Version : Down to 2 choices of RODI

kysmith
06/19/2005, 03:45 PM
this one (http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON)

or the premium series at the bottom of the page (http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=91&Sub=1)

I've heard good things about the buckeyefield supply one but I haven't heard anything about the regular typhoon, only the typhoon III

So what is everyone's opinion?

tedu
06/19/2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I have a Buckeye unit and am very pleased.

Their support has been great.

Ted

thrlride
06/19/2005, 03:58 PM
My choice isn't in your list but don't count out ebay. I had mine shipped to my door for $66. 0 tds for over a year now.

dbates
06/19/2005, 04:21 PM
i also got mine off of ebay and it works very well

but if you had your heart set on those units, both of them look very good, i'm sure either one would get the job done well

ikn0xl
06/19/2005, 06:11 PM
how inthe world are they so cheap on ebay
I dont even know waht resin to use and I know if I ask theyre not going to answer me

AZDesertRat
06/19/2005, 06:48 PM
The reasons most of the e-bay units are so cheap is:

1. The do not use true 98% rejection rate 75 GPD NSF approved RO membranes. Most use 100 GPD nano filters rated at 90% rejection and only NSF ANSi rated for spa and pool use. A true Dow Filmtec 75 GPD RO membrane is NSF ANSI approved for drinking water use. Some 100 GPD membranes are rated by the NSF for their materials content but not their usage. Also Appied Membranes and GE membranes require 65 psi input pressure to produce their rated GPD while Dow membranes only require 50 psi to do the same thing. Good units like Buckeyes and the Typhoon series use true Dow Filmtec 75 GPD Reverse Osmosis 98% rejection membranes. They do offer the 100 as an option if you really have your heart set on one of the lesser units though.

2. None of the e-bay units provide a large capacity vertical refillable DI cartridge and canister. Most of them supply a small horizontal non reusable Di that only hold 6 oz of resin nand is prone to short circuiting or channeling and poor generally performance. Some do provide a refillable unit but it only holds 6 oz of resin again and its still a pain in the a$$ horizontal unit with lousy flow characteristics. Good units like Buckeyes and the Typhoons come with a large capacity, as in 24 oz., full size 10" vertical refillable di cartridge in a standard size housing just like the prefilters and carbons come in. They also supply the very best nuclear grade DI resin and you can buy bulk refills from them that will completely fill the cartridge and not short circuit like those that only partially fill their cartridge.

3. There may be exceptions but most of the e-bay vendors offer lousy if any customer/technical support at all. Try to get one of them to answer a question on DI resin type or quantity. Russ at Buckeye and Walter at Air Water & Ice will answer you with a knowledgable response every time.

4. Lots of the e-bay units come un assembled and un tested and look at all the complaints you see here and elsewhere about leaks and poor workmanship. The good units come assembled and ready to go, truly Plug and Play.

For the few $$ difference its worth getting the right unit the first time and not having to upgrade down the road.

kysmith
06/19/2005, 09:46 PM
i ordered the buckey one, I'll let everyone know if I have problems with it. Otherwise assume I'm thrilled with it :)

BeanAnimal
06/19/2005, 10:10 PM
I own the Typhoon III and could not be more pleased with the unit or with the customer service.

The post above this should become a sticky....

Bean