PDA

View Full Version : Sump spraybar...worth the noise??

pitt_prodigy
06/18/2005, 11:25 PM
Hi all, i just finished plumbing my sump and filled the tank today to give it a test run. Plumbing is all working out great and i finally eliminated the leaks from the bulkheads, BUT i did notice (actually was the girlfriend who noticed) that the spraybar over my refugium produced quite a bit of noise.

My question... is it worth all the noise?? Besides oxygenation of the water, what else does this spraybar really do? Her suggestion was to sink it under the surface of the water to eliminate the "Niagra falls-like" spray noise... good idea or no?? Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
:D

45commando
06/19/2005, 12:37 AM
Sounds like your Girlfriend is Reef ready.I would go with her option & sink below water level.Actually I wouldn't use the spray bar at all,but that is my opinion.If your running a protein skimmer,then you'll get all the O2,you need fron that.HTH.

pitt_prodigy
06/19/2005, 02:44 AM
As usual i think she probably is right. I've been thinking about it and i think that your point that the skimmer will oxygenate the water just fine leads me to believe that the spraybar is just unecessary noise. I'm gonna sink it tommorrow with a 90 degree elbow and just port a hole in the cap. This way it wont take as much flow from my main tank. Thanks for the incite.