PDA

View Full Version : Sump and skimmer set up question

boalady
06/18/2005, 10:48 PM
I'm setting up a 29 gallon tank as a sump. I was given a Nautilus in sump skimmer and I've ordered a Mag 9 to run it. I was wondering, to save space in the sump, could I build a shelf for the skimmer to set on and then set the pump below the skimmer. I would have the tubing from the pump to the skimmer form a "C" shape. Will this work out? Thanks for any advice.

justin-branam
06/19/2005, 12:45 AM
as long as it will fit under the tank, sounds like it would work fine to me. that might be an awfully high fall for the return water though. you may need to do some custom plumbing for it. make sure to use hose clamps on the skimmer. last thing you want is a pump spitting water from your sump onto your floor......trust me, its really not fun cleaning that up.

boalady
06/19/2005, 08:18 PM
Thank you. The sump is going in a cabinet next to the tank, the tank is a hex. Do you use plastic hose clamps? Where can I find some? Thanks again.

justin-branam
06/19/2005, 08:50 PM
since the connections will be out of the water you can use stainless hose clamps. if you want to use plastic clamps to be safe, i think you can order them from www.marinedepot.com