PDA

View Full Version : Turboflotor 1000 help...

NYBen
06/18/2005, 05:13 PM
I am new to the reef hobby, but have been keeping freshwater for quite some time. My current project is a 75gal. thats been up and running now about a month with about 60lbs of Tonga shelf (cured in tank). My levels zero'd out last week and I added some misc. snails and crabs to combat a bit of a brown algea issue that was happening. They seem to be doing a great job and the coraline algea is starting to come back nicely, slow but steady. On to my question...the tank is not currently running a skimmer because I can't get my new Turboflotor 1000 to produce "dry" foam. I have tried trimming the intake way down but still not much luck. It will just barely bubble over for a while and look likes its going to work, but then begin flowing over / filling with water in time. Any suggestions? I look forward to learning from your experience.

A few more tank specs, 75 gallon All Glass, no special lighting yet, 2 powerheads (1 hagen 802 and 1 ZooMed 228 powersweep) 20 gallon sump with Aqua Medic TurboFlotor 1000 w/ Oceanrunner 2500 in it, Quiet One 1200 retun pump. Using a Hot Magnum with a branched return to feed the skimmer in the sump. I had to play with the valves on the plumbing (which I fabricated) to get the intake and return equal but seem to have done so. Was originally planning on a FOWLR but am quickly getting addicted to the idea of a reef.

Hockeyben51
06/18/2005, 05:20 PM
I have the same problem with my turbofloater 1000 w/ oceanic pump and i need the same answer please help both of us!!

NYBen
06/18/2005, 05:32 PM
^

avman67
06/18/2005, 07:43 PM
I had one of these skimmers and hated it. I had a ball valve on the intake so that I could reduce water flow, otherwise it simply bubbled over. I never could get it adjusted properly and after 6 months I gave up and bought a Remora Pro.

BLockamon
06/18/2005, 09:01 PM
Which pump are you running on the T1000?

I had a problem with my T1000 overflowing when I switched from the Rio to the OR2700. The OR is much more powerful and pulls in a lot more air.

To compensate, I took off the throttling caps and added a valve to the air line. I now control the skimmer level with the air valve. I still don't get the dry "mud" that some people shoot for, I don't get just water either.

NYBen
06/18/2005, 09:08 PM
I'm running an OR (2500?).

AZDesertRat
06/18/2005, 09:27 PM
I have a 1000 and love it! I also use the Oceanrunner 2700 but I feed it with a MaxiJet 900 powerhead. I don't use the caps on the two riser tubes and put an airline valve in the air intake which can be adjusted as my sump level changes. I wouldn't trade it for anything in its price range or lots of them that are more expensive.