PDA

View Full Version : Can I treat spa flex hose like pvc?

HippieSmell
06/18/2005, 04:43 PM
Can I use regular pvc primer and cement on spa flex hose? Is there anything else I have to do?

neotekz
06/18/2005, 05:38 PM
u don;t need to, just boil some water and soak the tube in it for 30 seconds and then put it on the fitting. when the tube cools it will shrink and u wont be able to take it out of the fitting if u wanted too

CAreefer
06/18/2005, 06:02 PM
I looked around quite a bit for the same answer. The guys at HD didn't seem to know. From the research I did, yes, treat it like regular pvc. Neo, the spaflex isn't designed to work with the barbed fittings. It may work that way but personally wouldn't use it like that.

CAReefer

onmyway
06/18/2005, 06:21 PM
where have you been able to find spa flex hose?? i can only find 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" but no 1"

Acroholic
06/18/2005, 06:24 PM
Interesting Question Hippie. I just bought some 1" from my local HD and was planning on using it like PVC also, My HD people didnt know either. WIll keep an eye on this thread to see what turns up.
HD, onmyway.

reefkeeper1
06/18/2005, 06:49 PM
Have you ever thought of buying and using flex pvc instead?

onmyway
06/18/2005, 07:03 PM
thats not a bad idea although that "flex" has very little flex. i guess its better than nothing though. how do you put flex pvc on though? can you glue it into joints just like regular pvc?

What department of HD? i have never found it there

Acroholic
06/18/2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by reefkeeper1
Have you ever thought of buying and using flex pvc instead?

Spaflex Hose = Flex PVC, same product. http://www.flexpvc.com/

onmyway, my HD anyways keeps the hose with all their other flexible hoses and tubing by the RO units and Hot water Heaters and like supplies....

Acroholic
06/18/2005, 07:34 PM
And according to their FAQ page, just glue it with regular PVC cement and treat it like any other PVC.
But is does say "DO NOT TWIST" when inserting it into a fitting.

I guess that answers our questions........

onmyway
06/18/2005, 07:36 PM
well i think he might have been reffering to spa flex as the super super flexible stuff thats thin and see through sometiimes. i have that going from my overflow drain into my sump. but flex pvc is pretty rigid. does flex pvc fit into regular pvc fittings??

tedu
06/18/2005, 07:37 PM
Yes, you can use regular PVC cement and fittings with spa flex. They make a special cement but lots of folks (including me) have had no issues with using the standard stuff.

Also, little tip, I take the piece of pipe I'm going to use and heat it up in the oven at 200f for 5 minutes or so. Until it gets hot enough that you can barely touch it. Then I lay it out straight to cool and once it's cooled the 'curve' that was set in the pipe from being on a roll for months is gone and it's much easier to work with.

Ted

BeanAnimal
06/18/2005, 09:41 PM
I use the regular glue also. Be warned it DOES NOT do as good of a job. I can pull the fittings apart if I try. The flex glue melts the spaflex better than the standard stuff. You can also use the stuff from HD that is listed to work with wet connections.

Bean

Acroholic
06/18/2005, 09:44 PM
thnx Bean......good advice! Don't want any leaks now do we?