PDA

View Full Version : How exactly are you supposed to adjust the water level in the Aqua C EV-180?

justin-branam
06/18/2005, 04:33 PM
I know you are to adjust the water level to the top of the box just under where the tube starts. only question i have is do you adjust it to this point with the air turned off or with the air turned on? if on do you adjust it so the bubbles break at this point or to where the bubbles just start? thanks.

Omar H
06/18/2005, 06:35 PM
air valve open aaallll the way.

As a matter of fact, the only time you should close it, is if you want to clean the skimmer while it still is working (so that you don´t have skimmate flowing out).

I would assume this skimmer is new to you. You need to be very, vey patient with them. mine took several months to be properly adjusted. It will also help if you don´t need to reconfigure your plumbing often. In my experience, every time I put new teflon on the plumbing, the skimmer goes nuts.

Finally, the water level is a matter of choice, you will need to find whatever works best for you.

In my case, I try to run it as high as I can without having water splashing back in the air chamber so high, that it touches the water nozzle.

HTH

Omar

justin-branam
06/18/2005, 06:46 PM
i have had the skimmer for a while but was underpowering it with a mag 5. i just put a mag 9.5 on there, and WOW! already have skimmate in the cup. i may need to let the water down a tad but that gives me a starting point. thanks!

jim.l
06/18/2005, 07:29 PM
Assuming the outlet is not under water (it shouldn't be), the gate valve determines how high the water in the skimmer runs. If the pump is oversize and opening the valve all the way won't lower the water enough, you will need to put a valve on the pump (output side ) to throttle the flow back. If you do, use a gate valve. I ran the water at the internal plate for a while. I've found that I get the best performance with the water just at the lower riser tube.

justin-branam
06/18/2005, 08:17 PM
the gate valve on the skimmer is not plumbed under the water level of my sump, and the gate valve is closed about 2 1/2 turns. i put the mag 9.5 on there but i also put a gate valve on the inlet side of the pump (restrict flow on this side rather than creating head pressure which i heard the mags dont like) so i can fine tune the skimmer with the gate valve on it. i think i got it adjusted well so ill see how it is running over the next few weeks. thanks for the help.

Entropy
06/18/2005, 09:16 PM
It is better IMO to restrict the output of the pump, because pumps are designed to push water, not suck it in. I would switch your setup around before you damage your pump (again IMO).

justin-branam
06/19/2005, 03:07 PM
as it turns out right now i dont even need to restrict the pump at all and i still have the output valve on the skimmer closed a few turns! i think all is well. thanks for all the help.