PDA

View Full Version : Beckett Vs Needlewheel Protein Skimmer's

SCBURR
06/18/2005, 08:56 AM
Hi all,
can someone explain the difference between the two and what are the advantages vs disadvantages. I'm about to upgrade my skimmer. Also not clear what is meant by re-circulation skimmer
Thanks in advance

tangwang
06/18/2005, 09:04 AM
This is a topic that has been discussed many times on RC. Do a search, and you will quickly find out all you need. If you are on a budget and don't want to spend $$ on a huge pressure rated pump, then a Beckett is not for you. A needle wheel would suit you better. If cost is of no worry, then a Beckeet would probably suit you. Like I said, just do a little searching here on RC, and you'll find all you need to know...

Matt

moonpod
06/18/2005, 11:06 AM
I would say that's not exactly correct. If you want top end performance ie massive air injection, but you are on a budget and you can tolerate the relative noise, twitchiness, and relative increased maintenance and electrical consumption of a pressure rated pump, the beckett is the way to go.

If you want something simple and cheap, the mass marketed needlewheels are probably a good option.

If you want something that's really been optimized, works really well, is quiet and doesn't eat much juice AND you aren't on a tight budget then look at Deltec/H&S/RE

SCBURR
06/18/2005, 11:58 AM
I am trying too keep it under $600 bucks. Tried the search but I don't get much relevant success , err go the question. Thanks for the responses. I know this is another version of the best skimmer for the money, but their is so many opinions.

moonpod
06/18/2005, 12:16 PM
What size tank? An oceanic 110 RR?

OK to answer a directed question:
What is a recirculating skimmer? Where the pump that creates the bubbles is on a closed loop with the skimmer itself. One pump generates the bubbles, and the intake of that pump comes off the skimmer. The skimmer is fed water from a different input. The advantage is that when "adjusting" the skimmer, you can separately modulate the air input and the water input into the unit. ie you disconnect the "processing" from the in/out.

600 bux will get you a lot of beckett, a deltec that'll probably do the trick, ditto an H&S, or a big ASM or standard ER. Lots of choices.

Do you religously maintain your tank? Are you a "tinkerer"?

OT: where and what do you practice.

SCBURR
06/18/2005, 06:05 PM
I was a tinkererrr until this forum energized my passion. I plan on designing a 3oo+ tank in the next year in the basement. Figured this would give me a chance to "perfect" some of the more critical issues.
Moodpod I like your pelvic X-ray , what are the beads= I'm in DC
:strooper:

moonpod
06/18/2005, 06:15 PM
The "beads" is a plate. That's a guy who dissociated his pelvis from his sacrum.

Anyways, if you're thinking 300+ tank next year then you've gotta think either a big needlewheel or an expandable beckett (get an add on tower and or injector down the road). One of the advantages of most beckett designs is that you can always add another injector and height to the reaction column. Again, as a relative statement, good needlewheel designs are very effecient, tend to be more compact and more energy effecient, but $$$$. Becketts are a bit more DIYish, a bit more fiddly and use mongo pumps, but are also a good option.

SCBURR
06/18/2005, 06:25 PM
Have you gotten a feeling for the skimmers produce by MRC. They seem to get alot of pub from members of RC?

moonpod
06/18/2005, 07:37 PM
I like 'em, I like Andy. I used to have a dual becket MR3. Good unit. If I was to go the beckett route I'd either buy from Andy or barraquatic.

SCBURR
06/19/2005, 07:18 AM
Just took a look at your website, very impressive. I see your an ortho- pod, I'm an anesthesiologist in DC. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with a needle wheel:smokin:

TapeWorm
06/19/2005, 10:14 AM
Make sure you have a sump large enough for the footprint of a needle wheel.

For example, if you are going with a 300 tank, you will need a 12in diameter skimmer, plus at least two pumps, which will be quiet a bit. Here is the data on Euro-Reef:

CS8-5 300 13.5" x 15.5" 48" 2 x Sedra 5000 or
2 x Euro-Reef SP3
CS12-1 300 18" x 18" 24" 2 x Sedra 5000 or
2 x Euro-Reef SP3

Compare that to the foot print of the Beckett or the DownDraft skimmers for the same size tank.

If you are planning on a remote sump, it may work. If you are going under the tank, you cant.

spazz
06/19/2005, 10:18 AM
there is an alternative to buying an expensive factory skimmer. build you own skimmer. this is a recirculating skimmer im building for my tank. you will see the pipes are both hooked to the skimmer body. it sucks it out of the skimmer from the lower tube, mixes air with it and blows it back it the upper tube.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/44116pumps_fitted__1___Small_.JPG