PDA

View Full Version : "miracle" phosphate remover!

SonicPlacebo
06/18/2005, 02:26 AM
For anyone out there combating a phosphate problem, there are two AWSOME new products available. (When I say new, I mean new to my area. forgive me if you allready have these in stores near you)

The first, and much more expensive of the two is RowaPhos, and will clear out a tank in a matter of a couple days. This one is amazing, and will not leak phosphates back into the system if it is left in the tank for long periods.

The second, and MUCH more reasonably priced is PURA Phoslock.
I have started trying this product due to monetary restraints, and within the first 2 days, there was a dramatic decrease in phos levels. This stuff works equally as well as the rowa, but is about a third of the price!

Just thought i would put this info out there... Sorry i dont have specific numbers for the levels, I didnt make a record. :/ But from one aquarist to another, this stuff is awsome!

kenny77
06/18/2005, 02:43 AM
thank for the info. i knew abot RowaPhos but is is kind of expencive out there. im gonna give it a try to Pura Phoslock.

tangwang
06/18/2005, 09:00 AM
I've been using Pura Phoslock for awhile now. It is Ferric Oxide Hydroxide, like Phosban, and works very well. I have no complaints. My LFS even sells it cheaper than Phosban..

Matt

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/18/2005, 11:36 AM
I discuss the pros and cons of the iron-based binders in this article:

Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

tangwang
06/18/2005, 12:42 PM
Ah. I forgot you wrote an article about GFO media. given the choice between an aluminum oxide media or a GFO media, and given the pros and cons between the two which do you prefer, now?

Matt

tangwang
06/18/2005, 12:45 PM
Nevermind randy. I just saw in a similiar post that you reccomend the iron- based removers over the aluminum based ones ;)

matt

jdmhonda954
06/18/2005, 12:57 PM
IMO marc weiss makes one thats better check it out.

tangwang
06/18/2005, 06:01 PM
Never tried the marc weiss stuff, but if it is anything like his other products, I wouldn't waste my money... just my .02.....

matt