PDA

View Full Version : Help with plumbing please.

mecold
06/17/2005, 10:36 PM
I am currently trying to use "1.5 inch pool hose" from hd for my drain into my sump. However, I cannoy get this to stop leaking at the top. I am using two stainless steel hose clamps tighted to no end and water still leaks, albeit a very very slow leak. My assumption is that this is the wrong hose to use as it is very hard, and the barb cannot bit into the hose. What type of hose is everyone else using succesfully? I mean without leaks. What would you all reccommend? Also, my union which is threaded onto my pump cracked after the pump was turned on for about 10 minutes. I had tightened it as mu as I could.. Once again I would assume that I had overtightened the union.. Please help. I have replumbed this tank at least four times. Each time I fix one problem and another one shows up.

Thanks,
Paul

Codeman00
06/18/2005, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure what "pool hose" is but I used the 1.5" braided PVC flex hose at Lowes/ Home Depot. You need to use silicone on your barbed fittings. (aquarium safe silicone, of course). Just rub a bunch of it on and fill in the barbs...the slip the hose on. Let it set up and cure. Use the hose clamp...I use plastic ones so they won't rust. I used silicone on all threaded and barbed fittings. The threaded fitting should be hand tight plus 1/4-1/2 turn.

There is no way you should crack a union. Hand tight is all you need to compress the o-ring to seal. If you crank down too much you compress the o-ring flat so it leaks instead of leaving a little bit of a bulge to make the seal.

Get you some GE I silicone (or aquarium silicone) and dont tighten the threaded fittings too much and you shouldn't experience any more leaks.

mecold
06/18/2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the help.. The female side that was attached to the pump is what cracked. I think I will try the braided pvc flex hose. I was going there (hd) to buy some to try in a few hours anyway. Thankfully I have a spare threaded union as hd does't have anymore..

Thanks

mecold
06/18/2005, 12:19 PM
Well.... Thanks for the advice codeman00. No more leaks, but microbubbles.. That is a whole other matter.. Does anyone know if the seals on unions and other joints need time to cure/set before they are totally airtight?