PDA

View Full Version : Hey hardcore DE folks like Moonpod

edfish
06/17/2005, 06:01 PM
I need to replace my old ushios 250w DE bulbs as they are abit over 1 yr old. Are in ROIII pendants with sunligh supply ballasts. Also, I run a couple actinic T5s.

For SPS but also a bit of LPS at the lowere end of the 180, what bulb would you recommend.

I was thinking
1. Ushio 10kde again (liked them but might prefer slightly more blue...maybe...)
2. Aquaconnect 14ks
3. Phoenix's
4. Any other sharp 10-14ks out there???

I have not cruised through all the threads in six months. What do you lighting branaics recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!

scenaria
06/17/2005, 06:26 PM
I just swapped out 3 of my ushio 250w 10k's in favor of the pheonix 14k's... much nicer in my opinion..

and the bonus. I really dont need the actinics on anymore as theres plenty of blue in the pheonix bulbs.. (saves about $8/month) in power :)

mikebon111
06/17/2005, 06:53 PM
T-5 actinics aren't very actinic. Very light. IMO

moonpod
06/17/2005, 07:42 PM
Slightly bluer (and I mean slightly) than the Ushio is the BLV.

Then most likely the Giesemann 14.5k. (again, not a HUGE difference)

Then the Hamilton 14k (some like it, I don't)

Then probably the XM 15k (not so bright)

Then the Phoenix/AC (much, much bluer)

mikebon111
06/17/2005, 07:53 PM
T-5 actinics aren't very actinic. Very light. IMO
I apologize for my last statement. I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were going to add T-5's. I really didn't mean to insult your lights. Once again I apologize.

edfish
06/18/2005, 10:02 AM
Moonpod, what are you using now? I am pretty happy with the Ushios (particularly after the last water change rid me of a yellowish tint I hadn't noticed), but would try someting new.

My sps growth has always been SLOW compared to others'. I do recognize there can be myriad factors for that but I thought I would get your bulb views since you are always right in the info flow.

So, stick with Ushios or try something newer and slightly bluer?

Thanks in advance

optimus prime
06/18/2005, 10:22 AM
Im using the xm DE 250 on my 2x2x2 frag tank and it looks good. This is my first 250 DE bulb though so i have nothing to compare it too. All my other halides are 400s.

moonpod
06/18/2005, 10:45 AM
Ed I'm using nothing really right now. I am in the process of dismantling my tank for a move. I think that it's all a matter of personal preference really. Get a bulb with "reasonable" ouput that you like the look of and you'll be fine.

FWIW, the XM "10k" DE has a color temp of like 7000k so it's very iwasaki like IME.

scenaria
06/18/2005, 10:51 AM
if you had actinics with ushios... and want the blue without actinics.. the pheonix is a good choice. I didnt even realize how yellow my ushios were until I put a pheonix in for comparrison.

get a pheonix and try it.. just one...

if you dont like it..

I have two Ushios sitting here with about 4 months on each.. I'll trade you the ushios for one pheonix :)