PDA

View Full Version : calling all cubists! 2' sq. cube plumbing

archaeoreefer
06/17/2005, 10:00 AM
Anyone have plumbing pics or diagrams for their larger cubes? I've just ordered a 60 gallon (24x24x24") acrylic cube with internal overflow (8x5" centered on back wall), and wondfering where to have the manufacturers (SoCal Creations) drill holes for the sump return and closed loop. The tank with be SPS dominant (but not exclusive).

The following are two versions of my most recent idea:

No. 1:
My original thought was to place to CL returns high up to either side of the overflow, in the middle of the 8" panel to either side, and a second pair equal distance from the bottom. The intakes (2) would be placed equadistantly between the returns. The intakes would be plumbed together (T'd) to run an Ocean Motions 4-way cycling to the returns. I'm also thinking about having the bottom of the overflow drilled for either/or 2 3/4" drains that can be regulated or shut off using ball valves below the tank (with paired Steadman stockpipes), and a pair of holes for the sump returns that would exit in the middle face of the overflow.

No. 2:
Same basic idea as above, but instead of the CL intakes placed midway between the CL outlets in each panel, these are replaced with smaller sump return outlets. The previous sump return lines in the overflow would be replaced by a single larger diameter hole for the CL intake that would emerge from the middle face of the overflow (with enough room to stagger the drains within the overflow).

The tank will be BB, so they're be no sand to fly around. Is this overengineering for a 2' cube? Would a better design be more practical? Those of you with cubes, if you could start over, how would you design your system differently (if at all)? Hope to post a couple of drawings shortly.

archaeoreefer
06/17/2005, 11:25 AM
Here's a quick CAD drawing of the proposed options, plus alternates, which are really just moving all the holes upwards in the tank for better LR clearance.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/90328tank_design-med.jpg

boogs
06/17/2005, 01:39 PM
Ironically i just recently setup my old 60 gallon cube with a half overflow box centered on the back wall and a single intake, dual output closed loop. Tank is a mix of LPS, 2 clams and some SPS. I went with a half overflow box just to allow for more real estate. It's about 4" x 8" x 8" tall with the drain drilled in the back pane of glass near the top. I am running a modified Durso to quiet things down (and it works very well in this application).

corro
06/17/2005, 02:02 PM
I did about the same thing on my 60g cube as you. If I were to do it again I would put all of my holes as close to the top of the tank as I could. That way, if you get a leak at your lowest hole, the tank will not completely drain down to that point.

You can see where I drilled my tank on the first page of this thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263616&highlight=building+a+glass)

archaeoreefer
06/18/2005, 07:47 AM
boogs and corro--any dead spots in either of your tanks plumbed as they are? Wondering if the number of intakes/outlets I've proposed is overkill. Also, what's your opinion on running them through the face of the overflow?

archaeoreefer
06/18/2005, 08:21 AM
What if I were to add a manifold encircling the inside lip of the tank (made of black pvc), and plumbed through bulheads in the back top corners? Then move the additional CL outlet bulkheads down a little bit, and maybe get rid of those closest to the bottom of the tank?

Randall_James
06/18/2005, 08:37 AM
Anthony Calfo has a lot of info on this subject: The manifold you are describing was a brain child of his some time ago an it is pretty effective.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=520145

He also has a killer book that covers a lot more than just this but a certain must have for reefers

corro
06/18/2005, 12:59 PM
I think the manifold is a great way to go.. I lifted all of my rockwork up on PVC ... So, that I could get some flow on my sand bed.

My flow was great for a while. Now that my corals have really started to fill in, I feel like I need more. I will adding a tunze stream to the front of the tank later this month.

archaeoreefer
06/23/2005, 11:28 AM
Randall--thanks for the link. I should be able to make a top loop manifold out of 1/2"-3/4" black pvc tubing and nozzles purchased from Savko, which will decrease the visibility of it in the tank (at least when viewed from the front). I'd prefer the manifold exit the tank at two points instead of one (through bulkheads, the pvc angling down out of the tank corner at the last moment to enter them as the bulhead holes would have to be drilled inward from the corner some). The trick becomes fastening it underneath the eurbracing around the top of the tank. I'd rather not just drill holes in the acrylic a fasten with cable ties; something more elegant should be in order...

I include a new drawing of possible bulkhead placement taking into account the manifold. Any comments/suggestions welcome!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/90328tank-design-with-manifold.jpg